Fermentation time for irish red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have an Irish red in primary OG of 1.042, its been 4 days now and things are going smooth. I have some friends visiting that will be leaving next week and I wanted to send them home with some brew bottled brew. I was wondering if you think 10 or 11 days in primary is enough time in the fermenter?

It all depends on the speed taht your yeast will eat all the sugar, but it seems plosible in 10 days,

Just start to take some gravity checks now and then so you'll now you have reach the FG. But 1.042 in 6 or 7 days with a good yeast should be standard.

(I usually brew all grain but I don't think it really matter for fermentation time!)

Possible yes ideal no. Even though active fermentation is over I like to let my beers to sit at least 3 weeks so the yeast can clean up after its self

It would also depend on how you're temp control was during the 10 days, and more importantly during the first 72 hours of fermentation.

If you were able to keep the beer at a constant 68 during high fermentation, then there will be less off flavors that need to be cleaned up to begin with.

However a general consensus would be: yes, it is doable, but not ideal (as browndawg stated above).

I should also say there is no time table for fermentation. There is so many variables that effect the time for your beer to ferment that no 2 beers are the same.

as said, there are variables, but yes 10days should be fine for a beer of that size/style. just make sure they wait a few weeks before cracking them.

Back