Fermentation thermometer/ temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbuckhead

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best way to monitor the temperature of my fermentation. I'm currently doing an American Ale that wants to ferment at 67 F. Since it's a little warmer in my house, I'm using a wet tshirt to bring the temperature down. I don't think a stick-on thermometer would be practicle, and I don't think my infrared is all that accurate as I think the Krausen is a little warmer than the liquid.

I love my stick on thermometer. It tends to read accurate to within 1 degree. I use the Fermometer brand one. Just be sure to stick it on above the water line in your swamp cooler.

But I have a wet tshirt covering the entire bucket. Won't the stick-on thermo pick up the temperature of the tshirt?

just move the tshirt a little for the strip. Also do you have a fan blowing on the tshirt? it can help lower the temp.

Fan? No, I'll try that along with moving the shirt for a little while. Thanks for the help.

Believe it or not, the stick on thermometers are actually pretty accurate...most of the confusion with stick on thermometers is caused by the difference in ambient temperature vs wort/liquid temperature. Liquids warm and cool significantly different than gases (air). So even when the air temperature is 85 degrees liquid temperatures during primary fermentation can be much lower depending on the volume of liquid. You'll definitely have to do some experimenting to determine the best way to regulate the temperature of your wort/beer, but you should feel pretty confident about using the stick on thermometer as a way to accurately gauge wort/beer temperature...

Back