Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPen

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got an american ale kit fermenting right now. The problem is that my basement is very warm (27 C) recently due to the weather and the fermentation seems halted; no air lock action. Should I try to cool it down with a water bath or something? Will the heat produce off flavors? I will take a hydro reading next week and see where its at.

if its been fermenting for a for alittle while cooling it down will now really do anything for ester production, if you beer was fermented warm it could also have finished fermenting very rapidly. hydro test is your best bet

The yeast won't stall because of warmish fermentation temps - in fact, they'll speed up, as noted above.

Off-flavors, though, will almost certainly be an issue with too warm fermentation temps. You might look into keeping your fermenter in a water bath or swamp cooler.

Fermenting at 80 can produce lots of normally unwanted stuff including fusel alcohol. As others have already stated, I doubt your fermentation is stuck; it probably finished very quickly.

Also, a lack of activity in the airlock isn't necessarily an indicator that the yeasts have stopped working. The only way to know for sure is to take gravity readings.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted on gravity readings and when I get around to tasting it.

Hey just an update on this beer. I kegged it a few days ago and force carbed, tasted it for the first time today and it tastes amazing even half carbonated. There are definitely different flavors than the other times I have made this beer but the flavors are BETTER than before. Thanks for the help guys

Latest posts

Back