Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntaylor0

Reaction score
The more I learn about brewing the less I realize I know. Does anyone have a good guide listing the various "optimal" fermentation temperatures for the different beer types?

It depends on the yeast you use, not on the beer style. The yeast companies usually have their own websites and it will tell you ideal temps for each strain. It is also usually listed on the pack or vial.

So then does the yeast determine mostly everything in terms of temperature and taste profile?

Not everything. Of course the specialty grains you use and the hops you select make a huge difference. They all contribute. That's why there are endless varieties of beers you can make.

Yeast contribute to the flavor - sometimes hugely and sometimes barely at all. each strain has some set of ideal conditions, including temps (though i would also argue that their ideal temp varies based on other conditions, so they will behave differently in differ t breweries even at the same temp). Deviations away from those ideal conditions cause stress on the yeast and they start to produce compounds that impart off-flavors in the beer.

For temperatures at the homebrew level, IN GENERAL, English/American/German ale strains do well in the low-mid 60s F, lager strains do well in the low-mid 50s F, and Belgian ale strains are often used into the 70s and sometimes even 80s to push the various phenolic compounds over the top.

Then I guess it's time to brew that Belgian Dobbel I have been wanting to do. My fermentation temp always hangs around 78. Off to the home brew shop for supplies!

Then I guess it's time to brew that Belgian Dobbel I have been wanting to do. My fermentation temp always hangs around 78. Off to the home brew shop for supplies!

Sounds like you need some sort of Swamp Cooler, small fridge. Here in Hawai`i it get hot, but not as hot as many mainland locations due to our ocean breeze. But I'm looking at a 7.1 cuft Freezer from COSTCO. I can fit 3 of my 2 gallon fermenters in it. NO MORE MESSING W/BOTTLES OF ICE :mug:

I agree. I need something but I only have 5 gallon fermenters so I would need something large.

Latest posts

Back