Fermentation Temperatures/Profiles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucknorris101

Reaction score
I just finished my fermentation chamber build and am in the process of setting up my black box, I was looking to see if anyone else has recommended temperature profiles - i was just going to use these http://brulosophy.com/2014/07/23/the-black-box-is-beyond-cool-and-hot/

but im not sure if they are catch-all types of temperatures - Id like to speed up attenuation with the temperature ramp up but I dont want to start that potentially before the main part of fermentation is done, same with the other stages - dont want to cold crash before giving it a rest....

Or will I just need to play with these numbers to find out what works best for my recipes? instead of trying to set everything up to be automatic.. Mainly doing extract/partial now. I imagine bigger beers will need longer times as well.

Might want to think about running in thermostat mode until krausen drops, and then switching to a profile that ramps up and then cold crashes. Or, you could run in thermostat mode until a sample reaches a desired % complete (% of expected attenuation), run a ramp & hold profile to the warmer temp, wait until fermentation is complete (stable FG), and then run a crash & hold profile.

Brew on :mug:

Keep ferm temps specific to yeast profile and then raise near end of fermentation to get full attenuation and clean up of diacetyl. I usually then cold crash around 40F for 2-3 days then keg.

Latest posts

Back