Fermentation temperature for nut brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bru-ster76

Reaction score
I am about 15hrs into my fermentation, and already see krausen, which makes me smile. I have my temp controller set at 19.5C (67F). Should I go lower or is this temp ok. The spec sheet on the Safale US05 says it ideal between 59-70F, and am wondering if I should bother lowering it to get a cleaner tasting beer. Can the temp be decreased with no ill effects to the yeast production/action?

Cheers.

That temp should be perfect for 05. It can actually handle temps approaching 70F without getting all fruity on you but 65-67 is perfect IMO.

One other thought on this, one of the guys here ran an experiment a while back where he used 05 for several batches using a different temperature for each batch. His results seemed to show that 05 might actually tend to throw off more fruity esters at lower temperatures rather than warmer ones.

I've reset the temp on the controller for 65F as I'm monitoring the temp on the exterior of the vessel and wanted some leeway in case the actual temp of the beer is higher. I don't want it breaching 70F. This way, if 65F is set I can afford a few degrees spike during the active stage and keep it in the happy range.

Hopefully, resetting the temp after it's been at 67F for a half day, won't cause any negative effects. :)

It'll be fine where you have it. I've used 05 a lot and always set my fermenter at about 65f with consistently good results. And yes, the wort temperatures will during the vigorous early fermentation but will settle down in a day or so. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're going to make some good beer.

Cheers!

You're fine.

64-67*F (beer temp) is considered by most to be the "happy place" for US-05/WLP001.

Back