Fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a way to chill it down, no.

I typically go against the grain and pitch in the mid 70's, but I immediately throw it in a temperature controlled freezer and ferment in the low 60's.

I think best practice is to pitch at or a few degrees below your intended fermentation temperature. But, 70-72 degrees is not going to destroy the beer.

What strain? That's definitely on the high side for something like US-05 or WY1056, or even wlp080 (which runs warmer than the other two).
Might want to get that cooled down to ~66°F or so...

Cheers!

Soak a towel in water and drape it around the fermentor. Depending on the ambient humidity it could be good for 5 degrees.
Extra points (in degrees) if you train a fan on it, though you'll need to re-soak more often...

Cheers!

A frozen 2 liter bottle in what's referred to as a swamp cooler for the first few active days of fermentation is ideal in your situation.

Cheap cost and its controls temperature/change in temperature.

70*F won't make undrinkable beer, but remember beer ferments ~7 degrees above ambient.

fwiw, I have LC strips on all of my carboys, 2°F per section. A reading from the digital probes I use will reliably fall within the "lit" section on the corresponding fermentor, so I have no trust problems with them...

Cheers!

Those strips are pretty good to get you started. They don't like water though.

Swamp coolers are great by the way. Not just for cooling but for temperature stability if you get temperature swings between day and night. With the swamp cooler you can add a $10 temp controller and a $10 aquarium heater to make sure it doesn't get too cold, then throw in ice bottles each morning to stop it getting too hot.

If you can ferment in the low 60s you will get much nicer beer than fermenting in the 70s.

Latest posts

Back