fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjg1279

Reaction score
What can happen if fermentation temperature is too high? Its above 78 but airlock is bubbling like crazy. More than any other beer I made. How can I lower temp if I need to

You'll get a lot of off flavors and it will ferment faster. You definitely want to keep the temp down. You can put it in a water bath and swap out ice packs or frozen water bottles. Also search for swamp cooler. Or buy a small fridge with a temp controller.

Yup...with those higher fermentation temps, you are going to get some off flavors that you're going to need to condition out. No big whoop, but if you are going to ferment that those kinda temps, then you should expect it to take 3-6 weeks once you bottle for this beer to be fully conditioned.

Depends on the yeast you're using. 78 is still pretty high. Some are as low as 60 to as high as 74. Some belgian strains can go into the 80s. Conditioning will help, but will not completely remove the off flavors. I've found that for most ales 66-68 is a good temp.

Where do you keep your primary? I find that the basement floor keeps my primary around 70 degrees during the summer. Earlier this summer I lost power and my fermentation was over 80 degrees, I am still waiting on the off flavors to settle out.

Yeah, proper fermentation temp REALLY depends on the yeast. A good rule of thumb is 68.

I put my fermenting bucket in a big plastic tub filled with water. I wrap the tub in carpet/blanket and cover the whole thing with a card-board lid I made, so outside air doesn't get in that well. I then add frozen bottles of water 2 or 3 times a day to keep the temp steady. I have a thermometer sticking our of the lid so I can check the temp easily. Using this method, it can be very warm in my pantry (85 or so) but the beer will be fermenting at a cool 63 (that's the coolest I kept it without too much effort when I brewed a kolsch).

Cheap, easy, and VERY effective!

You'll definitely get off flavors fermenting at such a high temp. My last batch was an American wheat. I used US-05 and I let the fermometer get up to 74. This is the first batch I've kegged and it definitely has some off flavors, kind of like a band-aid smell/taste. I'm hoping it subsides soon, since it's been in the keg for three weeks now. Anyways, for my latest batch, I'm using the swamp cooler method, but instead of using a wet t-shirt, I just filled the bucket above the level of my wort. By putting frozen water bottles in the tub two or three times a day, I'm able to keep my water temp at 62-65 and my fermometer is reading a steady 64-68. I sure hope this makes a difference in my beer. And yes, although submerged, the fermometer is still somehow working.

Back