Fermentation stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

car421

Reaction score
Brewed an Irish red on 3/23 and it seem to have stuck. Extract kit that used Winsdor yeast. I added an extra 1.5 lbs of DME that I had and hit a SG of 1.072. Have taken 2 readings 3 days apart and am stuck at 1.024. I just gave it a shake and upped the temp to try and get the yeast moving again but am not to hopeful with that. I have some Champagne yeast but am worried about making it too dry.

Any suggestions?

It is not stuck, it is finished! Windsor is a low attenuator, better suited to low gravity beers.

I would recommend using an ale yeast before trying Champagne yeast. Champagne yeast may not do much, and, being a killer yeast may make it difficult to try another yeast after it.

So either try another yeast and possibly dry it out or let it ride and have it a little sweet.

Any suggestions?

It's not stuck. It's done. Let it sit another week or so then prime/bottle. You got 66.67% attenuation on a moderately elevated grav beer using Windsor. That's not out of the ballpark.

If you want the next one to go a bit lower, use S-04 or Nottingham (if you can keep it cool).

Thanks for the replies. From some additional reading it looks like most people feel the champagne yeast doesn't do much. Sounds like I just need to proceed and see how it is once carbed up.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Jamil from brewing network says that Dry yeast is hard to finish a beer with. There is no oxygen in the beer to start propagation or fermentation. Try using WLP001 Cal Ale yeast, that should get your FG down.

Jamil from brewing network says that Dry yeast is hard to finish a beer with. There is no oxygen in the beer to start propagation or fermentation. Try using WLP001 Cal Ale yeast, that should get your FG down.

That doesn't make sense. Are you sure you don't have that the wrong way around.

Liquid yeast requires O2 more than dried. If you pitch liquid into a fermented beer, you need to make sure it is in an actively fermenting starter.

Dry yeast does come packaged with sterols to provide O2 during the early reproductive phase (which is aerobic). Liquid, of course, does not.

It wouldn't help the OP to simply toss in either one on a 1.024 FG beer. 1) the success of late pitching of yeast like that is spotty at best. 2) if you do it, you want to make a small starter and pitch at high krausen.

I decide to start cold crashing last night. It came down to 1.022 and the target was 1.010-1.016 so not that far off considering the additional 1.5 lbs of DME.

Latest posts

Back