Fermentation Stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keggle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed up a chocolate stout and the fermentation has stopped. The OG was 1.051, predicted was 1.056. I aerated same as I always do by vigorously stirring and shaking. I pitched a packet of danstar windsor yeast, I just poured it in there. I checked the gravity after a week and the gravity was 1.034. So I left it alone and checked the gravity about a week and a half later and it's still at 1.034. It didn't look like much happened in the bucket, a small ring around it about 1/4" up on the bucket, but the top of the wort is clean.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I was thinking of making a 2L starter and dump it in to see if I can get it going. This is the second time I've brewed it and gotten the same results, the first time was my first time brewing all grain, so I chocked it up to that being the problem.

This is also the darkest beer I have made, I use RO water and don't check the PH of the mash. So I'm wondering if the darker grains took the PH too low and has stopped the yeast? I got some PH paper and checked the PH, the paper only went down to 4.6 and it looked to be that. Could it have been below it and showed that? I am going to grab some PH paper from work that has a broad range and check with that.

Could the PH being low stop fermentation? Or should I just pitch a big starter? Any other ideas?

Need a bit more info, what yeast, what was your mash temp and any info on the recipe itself. That number sounds high but depending on specialty grains and any added unfermentables.

Most of my stouts stop anywhere from 1.015-1.025.

Edit: what temp is fermentation and what temp does the yeast recommend?

My guess is not enough yeast pitched. You might have purchased an old yeast pack with few viable yeasties. You should look up Mr. Malty's yeast calculator. The primary thing you can do for your beer is Aerate, pitch enough yeast and temperature control.

7lbs - marris otter
1lbs- flaked barley
.63lbs - brown malt
.63lbs- chocolate malt
.5lbs- roasted barley
.25lbs- black patent

.75oz- northern brewer 60min

Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes

fermenting at 60-62, basement temp

Predicted OG - 1.056
Actual OG - 1.051
Predicted FG - 1.017
Fermentation stopped at - 1.034

I didn't catch the date on dry yeast packet. I got it from my LBS. Looking up the recommended yeast fermentation temp and it's 64-70deg. Maybe I should move it to a warmer spot?

7lbs - marris otter
1lbs- flaked barley
.63lbs - brown malt
.63lbs- chocolate malt
.5lbs- roasted barley
.25lbs- black patent

.75oz- northern brewer 60min

Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes

fermenting at 60-62, basement temp

Predicted OG - 1.056
Actual OG - 1.051
Predicted FG - 1.017
Fermentation stopped at - 1.034

I didn't catch the date on dry yeast packet. I got it from my LBS. Looking up the recommended yeast fermentation temp and it's 64-70deg. Maybe I should move it to a warmer spot?

there you go, cold yeast falling asleep.

Well I got the room up to about 68deg, I imagine it will take a little time for the beer to warm up. So we will see. Hopefully the airlock does something, either way I will check the SG in a week or so.

Back