Fermentation stopped early... should i add sugar for carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCool

Reaction score
I made a batch of cider with safale s-04 recently for the first time.... this happened to also be the first time i used a hydrometer and originally it said 1.070 after adding sugar... and than I went to secondary after 3 weeks and it was only at 1.024... i checked it again after another 2.5 weeks and it's still at 1.024.. I believe thats around 6 percent alcohol... Shouldn't it have fermented out to around 9 percent? I'm bottling today and I don't know if I should add sugar for carbonation since I guess theres still sugar in the batch? also will it even carbonate at all since the yeast stopped fermenting?

Well a couple of things...1) what is your recipe like? Some beers can end at a high fg if you have a lot of unfermentable sugars. 2) if you feel that there is still fermentable sugars left, add more yeast to get it down. You may have a stuck fermentation.

Back