Fermentation spiked to 75 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahsmatt7

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place....

I brewed a partial mash imperial stout a few days ago.

OG was 1.090 when I pitched the yeast.
The wort was temped at 68 degrees at time of pitch.

I woke up 24 hours later i saw the airlock doing it's thing but the temp was now at 75. Another day later (day 2), I was able to get the temps back down to 68 degrees.

I used 3 bags of the darkness strain by imperial yeast. (600 billion cells total at 94%ish viability. It was only 12 days old.

An online pitch rate calculator said I needed 583 billion cells.

Anyways, I was wondering how bad this batch is screwed up. I'm assuming a good amount of fusel alcohols we're developed as well as esters.

Any way to salvage this batch?

You won't know what it'll be like until you drink it, even then you won't know for sure what effect the high temp had. My guess with that yeast (my only experience is with the whitelabs equivalent) is that it will be very fruity. There may be some increased fusels. I can't see it ruining the batch.

It's probably ruined.. you may as well let it finish, package it up, and ship it to any of the certified beer disposal crew on this board..

In all likelyhood though, it will be fine. Also, I do like supporting homebrew stores, but the extra 2 packs of yeast is probably half the cost of everything to do your own starters, and if you can make beer, you can make starters.

Latest posts

Back