Fermentation smells like rotten eggs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostfish

Reaction score
I just brewed a belgian quad with a washed starter of wlp500, it is fermenting at 70 ambient and smells horrible, very pronounced hydrogen sulfide smell. I noticed that the starter smelled the same way before pitching, and have never experienced this before with an ale fermentation. Can anyone vouche for what this could be about? I've used the 500 strain before with no issues with this aroma. Thanks!

Figured it out. I believe it was due to stressed yeast (washed cake was from a Dubbel ~7%) and pitching temp was ~56... way too low for the 500 strain. Hope it scrubs out.

It could just be the temp causing the sulfer smell. An ambient temp of 70F would have the actual fermentation temp around 74-75F. In my fermentation chamber, using a probe, the fermenting beer is at 67F and the ambient temp is usually around 63F.

I hope it's something simple like that. Only time will tell I guess, I didn't account for the extra few degrees that fermentation brings to the equation, thanks!

Belgian yeasts at high temps give off all matter of fun stuff. I wouldn't worry about it in the fermenter. Just give it plenty of time to see if it will condition out and you should be fine.

Back