Fermentation Schedule for DIPA (1.093 OG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanGC

Reaction score
Hello all,

So it seems as though I overshot my target OG last sunday when brewing a DIPA. I was originally aiming for 1.080, but my efficiency jumped 13 points to 1.093. My brewhouse efficiency has been floating around 75 - 78%, so I designed the recipe to reflect that. However, this time around I treated the water and was monitoring the pH (which I normally don't do), and I jumped up to 88%. Target FG is 1.018.

No problem, my IBUs fall in the range of a DIPA still (75), and I plan on dry hopping in the primary and secondary.

I prepped a starter 5 days before brew day. I had a packet of Vermont Yeast (GY054) from giga yeast that was roughly 3 months old. According to Yeastcalculator.com, the pack had 41% viability left, and since I didn't hit the 4 month marker, I decided to use it. Attenuation is roughly 74 - 76% at this OG.

I began with 2.5 L at 1.050 SG on a stir plate for 48 hrs. There was plenty of activity, which made me feel the yeast was healthy enough to continue propagating. I stepped up the starter to 5Ls which I intermittently stirred for 48 hrs, which gave me ~ 1 trillion yeast cells according to yeastcalculator.com. Stirring the starter resulted in some violent hissing out the top of my 3 gal carboy sealed with tin foil, which seemed like a good sign. I added yeast nutrients to the 2.5L, 5L and wort from brew day (11 gal post volume).

I pitched the slurry from the 5L starter into 11 gals of 1.093 wort at 62ºF. Activity in the blow off tube happened roughly 24 hours of pitching.

It had been fermenting at 62ºF for 5 days, where I let it free rise to 65ºF (current temps) with goals of hitting 68ºF in a few more days. It's a bit chilly in my apartment, and it's taking a little longer than it should to rise to 68ºF in the chest freezer.

After 1 week, the beer is at 1.034 SG, and is bubbling roughly 40-50 times a min. I suspect this will continue to drop for the next few weeks, as I am following the fermentation schedule of a Barley Wine now that it hit so high.

So my question becomes, you think I'll hit my Target FG of 1.018?

I think I'd be fine with 1.023, given the increase in OG.

Oh I also forgot to mention, my original FG was 1.014, but with the bump in efficiency my calculated FG is 1.016 (according to beersmith).

Back