Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metal0130

Reaction score
Ok, I have looked around and cannot find the information I am looking for in any other posts.

I just created my first batch of homebrew last night and I pitched the yeast and put the carboy in a closet to begin fermentation. The house is around 68-70 degrees, although cooler at night. Now here is where my confusion begins.

I HAVE read that fermentation can take a long time to actually begin. But it would appear that mine began a very slow fermentation by the time I went to sleep. and even today (about 13 hours later), I am getting very slow fermentation. Now, if it does not pickup in the next 24 hours and I decide to add more yeast to it to get things moving, would this action ruin what was already slowly fermenting? at 13 hours I am getting one bubble in the airlock every 4 or 5 minutes and the wort is not creating any bubbles larger than the size of an ant. I just want to know if there is any way I can save this batch if the fermentation didn't start correctly..

Wait and be patient, If you are getting some activity then it has started. It may take a day or two to reach full swing. If you posted some details about the brew it may help to figure things out too, such as if it was an all extract kit or a kit from a homebrew supply or a Mr Beer. As you will hear around here a lot RDWHAHB. Or in your case RDWHAB (Relax Dont Worry Have A Beer)

Cheers

It sounds like you are going just fine to me. I have had several fermentations start off slowly and then pick up on their own. The first part of the yeast life-cycle involves multiplying and making more yeast. Some fermentation can occur during this stage and this sounds like where your fermentation is at right now. If I were you I would not pitch more yeast, the yeast you have are already doing their thing.

To answer your specific questions:
1) Pitching more yeast will not ruin the activity already occurring, but it is completely unnecessary at this stage and will not "get things moving" any faster than they already are.

2) Your fermentation sounds like it started correctly so there is no need for concern.

What kind of yeast did you pitch? What temp was the wort when you pitched? These things will make a difference in how long you have to wait until active fermentation takes off.

13 hours is not very long at all, especially if you pitched a liquid yeast without making a starter. If you have airlock activity then you have something going on in there, so just be patient. I've had batches take 2 to 3 days before taking off.

Wow, you guys are awesome. Thanks for answering my questions.
To answer a few of yours, I am making a stout, and to be honest, Im not even sure what grains I boiled. The store I bought them from gathered all of them for me to imitate a beer they had on tap.

I tossed the vial in the garbage, but I did use a liquid ale yeast, it wasn't past its date. I submerged the carboy in a cold bath but because of my inexperience, I was not able to measure the temperature before pitching without loosing my thermo in the wort, I did it all more or less by "feel". as I gain more experience I hope to develop more accurate methods and practices...

Your batch is quite possibly ruined... but don't throw it out, the best thing you can do at this point is to ship it to me in Boston for proper disposal.

Funkenjaeger said:
I would hope you didn't boil any grains...

you are right sorry, I steeped grains in water OFF the burner just after the water came to a boil. then JUST the water was then added to the boil pot and the grains were tossed.

The activity is slow but it is continuing, so forgive my newbie giddiness.

metal0130 said:
you are right sorry, I steeped grains in water OFF the burner just after the water came to a boil. then JUST the water was then added to the boil pot and the grains were tossed.
Still, you should not be steeping grains above 170F or you'll extract tannins. If you steeped with water that was just boiling, you're bound to be well over 170F. Usually people target more like 155F.

Hello all, I am a newbie with the same question that was asked here. I feel much better now that I know it can take a few hours for fermentation to take off.
Metal: Good luck on your brew. I used a real long meat thermometer that I picked up at the grocery store. It reads from 50 degrees Fahrenheit to 200 something degrees and it has a clip at the end so you can constantly read temperature and it will not fall into your wort.

Latest posts

Back