Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdd71699

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing but have had good luck with my first 2 attempts, a Summer Wheat and an Oktoberfest. Last Saturday 10/1 I brewed a Bavarian Hefeweizen (True Brew extract Kit). I substituted a liquid Hefeweizen Ale Yeast rather than use the dry packet that came with the kit. Fermentation started Sunday 10/2 and got so intense that my bucket bulged and I had some spillage out of the airlock but no blowout. Now 6 days later I still have bubbling taking place. The kit said fermentation should stop in 48-72 hours. Should I be concerned? Sorry for the long question! Thanks for any help!!

Too early. Take gravity readings. If two days in a row with same reading, fermentation if completed. It doesn't mean that you should bottle tough. Some recommend that you leave on primary for a total of 3 to 4 weeks to improve flavor. I personally don't care and bottle right away. I let it mellow in the bottle.

Too early. Take gravity readings. If two days in a row with same reading, fermentation if completed. It doesn't mean that you should bottle tough. Some recommend that you leave on primary for a total of 3 to 4 weeks to improve flavor. I personally don't care and bottle right away. I let it mellow in the bottle.
:rockin:

Another related question....the final gravity is 1.012 which is right where it should be but there's a fair amount of foam on top of my brew which I haven't experienced before. Should I leave it....skim it off or just give it a little more time to dissipate? Again...thanks for the help!!

Another related question....the final gravity is 1.012 which is right where it should be but there's a fair amount of foam on top of my brew which I haven't experienced before. Should I leave it....skim it off or just give it a little more time to dissipate? Again...thanks for the help!!
If you're doubting, give it another day, but I went through something similar.. I was getting airloc activity and a little foam ( not really Krausen ) just a layer of bubbles, but the gravity was settled, and even lower than projected. was supposed to settle at 1.012, but dropped down to 1.008 and sat there for three days until i bottled. 9 days in the fermenter, but that was a hefeweizen, not worried about clearing and I'm supposed to have yeast in suspension when bottling.

Back