Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryggehus

Reaction score
I'm still figuring out my equipment after going to all grain. I only ended up with a 4 gallon batch yesterday. I did hit the OG at 1.040 and pitched (Danstar Ale, dry) at about 3:00. It was 70F when I pitched and I put a little wort at a time in with the yeast starter to try and get close to the same temp.

Today, there is no action in the air lock. It did seem low on water, so I carefully put more in there. I just checked again today after coming home and still nothing. There is decent layer of trub already and no foam on top.

So, should I wait another day? Also, would the fact that there is only 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy make a difference?

You're worried after less than 24 hours after pitching and you're assuming that you've got no fermentation because you don't see any bubbles? Those are, simply put, the two cardinal sins around here. :D

Seriously man, you're good. Or rather, there's nothing you could tell me this early that would make me think that you aren't.

The 4 vs. 5 gallon thing won't matter to the yeast a bit.

I know. Smack me for worrying without it even being 24 hours after pitch. ; )

I typically see something by now. I had a bad experience with yeast once and I'm always nervous after I close 'er up with the airlock.

Dont worry, My first all grain didn't bubble, but the rest have.... Use a hydrometer. Plus all that trub could be sediment from finely crushed grains, whether protein or the flour of the grain. I doubt you would have such a yeasty trub layer by now

For future reference (and future batches) you're going to want to adjust your efficiency. If you got 1.040 at 4 gallons, you didn't really "hit" your OG. At 5 gallons that would have been at 1.032. And yes, keep waiting before you do anything. If you're really worried then check the gravity, but everything should be fine.

Thanks guys. I did hit 1.040 on the wort pre-boil and yes my hydrometer is calibrated (I get 1.000 with fresh water). I read it twice to be sure and it was maybe closer to 1.039 but I'd be splitting hairs.

Your are right...patience. It is showing action now (about 48 hours). ; )

I was more concerned about the 4 gallons. I used to do parital mash for years and it is easier to control the amount than the all grain method.

I would only be concerned if there was zero activity (of any kind) after 72 hours from when the yeast was pitched...

The AG batch I brewed on Saturday had bubbles after about 12 hours from when the yeast went in (small starter)... Was going rather nicely at 24 hours, and is still belching and farting up a storm (and blowing StarSan bubbles in the bucket)... Planning on changing over to airlock before hitting the sack tonight.

Back