Fermentation preference question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrin1988

Reaction score
So the kit I bought for my initial 6 month extract brewing start up (I bought it to brew extract so I could learn basic brewing while slowly buying bigger and better parts for all grain brewing at a 10 gallon capacity) came with 1 6.5 gallon Pail Ale bucket, 2 - 5 gallon Better Bottle Carboys, and a 6.5 gallon bottling bucket (and more, but the rest is not important to the subject).

I got the kit with the Better Bottles because after a lot of research I found that a lot of people were having great success with them at a cheaper price and they were not having to worry about the horror stories of breaking glass carboys. My main concern was obviously cleaning them without scratching them, and making sure I didn't mess up any seal when picking them up (that didn't seem too problematic if I was smart about it).

But now I am just wondering, what do you all use as fermenters? I will be buying a couple more as I move on to 10 gallon all-grain batches... what is your reasoning for fermenting in what you like to ferment in? Whether you use only buckets, glass, or better bottle or a comibination of different types... I would like to know why so that i can have some more experienced insight in my future decisions.

A similar question about plastic vs. glass was posed this morning, and the OP was directed to this thread, that has a lot of good information.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

But since you asked about general preference of fermenters, rather than just plastic vs. glass, I'll add my 2 cents. I have 2 Coopers fermenters that I use as primary vessels for my 5-gallon batches because I started on their extract system. Note that Coopers recently changed their fermenter design - I have the older one from a few years ago and love it. I use Better Bottles for secondary, when I do secondary (which is rare).

For 1-gallon batches, my primary is 2-gallon plastic buckets from a restaurant supply store with a hole drilled in the lid for a stopper and airlock. I use 1-gallon glass apple juice jugs for secondary.

I use buckets. They are cheap, easy to clean, and have a built in handle. For $8 or so, you can get a new one if you ever scratch it. If you like higher gravity beers, you'll probably want a couple 5 gal carboys (plastic or glass) aging at all times.

As a general rule, I'd stick with all stuff that provides maximum flexibility (with minimal expense) until you figure out what YOU like. You don't need to have it all figured out in advance. Heck, you might discover that you like experimenting with 5 gallon or less batches vs cranking out 10 gallons at a time. (10 gallons isn't that much if it is a beer you love, but it's a heck of a lot if your latest "oak aged" brew tastes like a sawmill. )

I only brew 5 gallon & smaller batches--my fermenter inventory consists of 2 6.5gal plastic buckets, a 7gal glass carboy, 2 5gal glass carboys, a 5gal Better Bottle, 3 plastic containers that used to hold protein powder but I converted to 2gal mini-fermenters, and 3 1gal glass jugs. Earlier this summer my fermentation closet looked like this:

2c2f304c.jpg

I find that the only real difference in the fermenters is their capacity. Not sure if this helps you much, but good luck in building your own inventory!

I personally use a 6.5 gallon glass carboy for my primary, and 5 gallon glass carboys for secondary. It's a personal choice, nothing more.

I like to be able to easily watch fermentation. I like knowing that I can be certain my glass is well and truly clean. I like the "coolness factor" of glass.

Understand, I am a geek in just about anything. If I'm buying tools, I'd rather save up and buy the best than settle with a lesser implement. To me (and again, this is a personal opinion), glass is "the best", so that's what I want to use.

Your mileage absolutely may vary.

Thanks for the input!

@ Billl: There are many reasons I am hoping to expand to a 10 gallon capacity when I am able to move to all grain.

1. I actually have a brewfriend so that we can split expense, workload and subsequently the beer. With the 5 gallon batches we are putting out 48 12 oz bottles at a time (give or take a few) so after splitting that we only get 24 bottles each per brew. So moving to 10 gallon means we get twice that, which we like the idea of :)

2. My brewfriend and I would like the opportunity of doing the 'biggest' beers out there and if that means only doing a 5 gallon batch in a big ass kettle (15.5 gallon) and a big ass mash tun (13-15 gallon) then that is fine. As far as I can tell there isn't a huge disadvantage in doing small batches in big boil kettles / mash tuns (am I wrong?)

3. We'd like to experiment with our favorite batches by splitting the 10 gallons up in different fermenters using different additives to them, etc, etc.

So there are a lot of reasons to go big when going to all-grain but the only reason I can think that we should stick with 5 gallon capacity is expense. We aren't rushing into buying the equipment, we are splitting the cost and buying it over time so its affordable. If it turns out something we end up dropping all together we will likely sell off our equipment and suffer whatever loss in capitol we suffer.

So far it seems like moving to glass may not be worth it because of the risk involved. I might buy another bucket or 2 along with a couple more better bottles (maybe a couple 3 gallon ones for small high ass gravity beers/ meads.

Any other input about glass?

I have 1 bucket, 2 six gallon Better Bottles, a 5 gallon Better Bottle, 2 three gallon water bottles and several 5 gallon buckets.

I have used all but the 5 gallon buckets for fermenting. I prefer the Better Bottles. I can see what is happening and feel they are even easier to clean than my bucket. I soak in Oxyclean, rinse, add about a gallon of hot water and a wash cloth and swirl it around. Rinse well and done.

I did not, and never will consider glass carboys. (unless I make a place where I can use and wash them without EVER moving them!) They are too heavy and too dangerous. Just read the horror stories!

Back