Fermentation Not Complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
So I took a gravity reading today on my oatmeal stout - should be around the 1.014 range for a final OG. Does this look right? It's been fermenting in the primary now for 5 days. I forgot to take an OG reading too...

IMAG1803.jpg

Without the OG reading, it would be hard to tell what the FG should be. You can take the Attenutation % of the yeast and come up with a rough estimate of where the FG should be.

Was this an All-Grain batch or Extract? If All-Grain, what temp did you mash at?

Also, you are only 5 days into this. Some yeasts take a longer time to work than others (Especially if the fermentation temps have been low). What has the ambient temperature been during this fermentation? And what is the actual yeast you are using?

I doubt that it is done. Put it away and continue to take readings on it. five days is not very long, although it is possible. What temp are you fermenting at?

Looks to me like it's reading 1.30, that's definitly not done if your final gravity is supposed to be 1.015...

Give it a couple weeks and check it again. Most of us these days pitch our yeast and walk away for a month and bottle.

Regardless of what the OG was, it's a safe bet that 1.030 is not a terminal FG. If this was an extract + steeping recipe then you can assume the OG was whatever the ingredients calculate out to. If it's a commercial kit then they may tell you what it should be in the instructions. I'd expect an oatmeal stout to have an OG somewhere around 1.050.

5 days is not a very long fermentation, especially when you figure your lag time (time between adding yeast and fermentation actually starts) could have been as long as two days or more. Relax and let the yeast do it's thing for a while longer. Don't even open it up for a few days, maybe a whole week. A lot of us let our beer sit for 3 weeks before we even touch it. It took 5 days to go from 1.050 to 1.030, now it's got to get from 1.030 down to 1.014.

Back