Fermentation issue? Not sure how to tell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kasrkin

Reaction score
Hey gang,

not sure but i might be having a fermentation issue, that or i'm just getting in my own head about nothing so i wanted to get y'all's opinions

I pitched the yeast on this last sunday, a 1.0 liter starter with Cali yeast into a 5 gal batch of scottish 80 that came in a little high at 1.055 there's krausen, but i haven't seen a lot of activity in the blowoff hose, i'm wondering if there just isn't enough pressure for the CO2 to escape or what? or if i'm just worrying over nothing?

I would appreciate the help, thanks guys!

My carboy:

attachment.php

Scottish80.jpg

That krausen on top tells you everything you need to know. Blow off or not, fermentation is taking place and all is good. Relax and start thinking about your next brew.

That krausen on top tells you everything you need to know. Blow off or not, fermentation is taking place and all is good. Relax and start thinking about your next brew.

awesome, thanks for easing my paranoia haha, I've been out of the game for a bit and this my first brew back of many, thanks again!

-b

Looks good to me! Healthy krausen on top. Try to forget about it for a couple weeks. You won't, but making more beer while you wait can help. :mug:

Wait. Is that your blow off hose extending down into the beer?!

If your blow off hose is under the level of beer there is no wonder there is no activity from the hose because the CO2 cannot escape! The blow off hose only needs to extend an inch or so into the carboy. Are you using a bung with a hole in it for the tube to pass? I see you have it duct taped. If you have no bung the CO2 can escape through the smallest cracks

Wait. Is that your blow off hose extending down into the beer?!

If your blow off hose is under the level of beer there is no wonder there is no activity from the hose because the CO2 cannot escape! The blow off hose only needs to extend an inch or so into the carboy. Are you using a bung with a hole in it for the tube to pass? I see you have it duct taped. If you have no bung the CO2 can escape through the smallest cracks

Good catch, if that's the case. I assumed it was a thermowell.

Latest posts

Back