Fermentation in bottle still?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpelon

Reaction score
I'm bored, drinking a few of my first AG Porters that turned out wonderful, and I got to thinking... when I bottled this, it lacked some body, tasted watered down (even after added maltodextrin to boil). I bottle condition with priming sugar, and now it tastes full-bodied and I need to ask the obvious: does bottle conditioning add a fermentation process, i.e. actually increase the alcohol content by a few notches? so if i bottled at a 4.5, logic would reason that the yeasties eating the priming sugar are still giving off alcohol farts, yes?

and note: Never go from drinking an AG Porter to a Keystone Ice.. its like toothpaste and orange juice.

Its not increased alcohol thats making the beer taste full bodied its the carbonation. Different levels of carbonation in the same beer will change its character. A good beer is a balancing act of several factors one of which is carbonation. Bottle conditioning does not add any appreciable amount of alcohol to the beer.:mug:

You are correct on the process, yeast do eat the priming sugar to carbonate the beer but any increase in alcohol is negligible. Carbonation will add to the mouthfeel of the brew, obviously.

Thanks for the replies guys, guess I'll have to stick with the 4.5ABV and lie to my friends and tell them its a 5 :).

Thanx

Back