Fermentation fridge temperature question. Cheese and lager in the same fridge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba_Steve81

Reaction score
Ok, I have limited funds and space available to me, and two hobbies that require low temperatures. I want to start trying my hand at lagers and cheese making.

Ideally, I want to setup one fridge for both with a temperature controller.

The issue is that cheese like temps around 50-54 F. Lager is about the same, 45-55 F, but the fermentation process can raise the temperature by up to 15 degrees. This means that the ambient temp in the fridge could need to be as low as 40 F on the high side.

Am I over thinking this and will it work, or is this not feasible due to the concerns I posted? Should I be able to either set the ambient to about 50 F and be fine with the lager, or place the temp probe on the side of the carboy set to 55 F and still be in a decent ambient range for the cheese?

Thanks!

The biggest difference I've had from ambient is 8*F higher on a Belgian with 1.090 OG with a huge pitch. What are you getting 15 above ambient with?

Just the first google result about lager fermentation temperature.

Normal ale fermentation temperatures range from 68 to 72 °F (20 to 22 °C) and lager fermentation temperatures from 45 to 55 °F (7 to 13 °C). Also keep in mind that the heat generated by an active fermentation can warm a typical 5-gallon (19-L) batch of beer by 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit (5.5 to 8.3 degrees Celsius).

https://byo.com/bock/item/1869-controlling-fermentation-temperature-techniques

I've never read that high and just personal experience. Maybe someone else can tell me otherwise but 15* sounds extreme.

OP, unless I am reading your question incorrectly, it shouldn't be a problem if you use a freezer or fridge with a temperature controller on it. Yes, fermentation does generate heat, but the whole point of a thermostat is to moderate the heat exchange (that's the "stat" part). In other words, if you put your fermentation vessel in the basement at 50 degrees, it would likely warm up the vessel several degrees. However, inside a controlled environment, the temp should stay at whatever you set, around 55 in this case. All that will happen is that the fridge runs more often during the fermentation phase in order to remove the heat being generate.

I have never done a lager but I know I get a distinct smell in my fermentation chamber when doing ales....I imagine that would permeate cheese....just a thought.

I have never done a lager but I know I get a distinct smell in my fermentation chamber when doing ales....I imagine that would permeate cheese....just a thought.

That and does living in a CO2 bath do anything to cheese?

Don't know what temp cheese needs to be at but I would def run the probe insulated and secured to the side of the ferm vessel. Could test and see what ambient temp is with a lager fermenting I suppose, if you wanted to know exactly.

Another thing to keep in mind is when I'm lagering, I'll be at ferm temp for a little while, then I'll let it step up fairly warm for a D-rest, then I pretty quickly kick it back down to lagering temps (around freezing). Will cheese be happy with all of that, assuming you'd do all three steps in the chamber?

I wouldn't even consider lagering and storing cheese in the same place. Unless of course you like sulphur in your cheese.

Latest posts

Back