Fermentation Fridge - recomendations needed that will hold a carboy + 1-2 1 gal jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigsf

Reaction score
A move to a warmer and non-air conditioned climate will require me to have a way to keep my fermentation cooler even for ales. Here's what I'm ideally looking for: something as small as reasonably possible that will hold a 5 gallon pail or carboy as well as one or two 1 gallon jugs since I sometimes like to experiment on smaller batches. I can make a custom shelf for the jug/s, I just need to the overall space to work with. Any thoughts on what kind of fridge might work for me? I know I could get a used full size fridge, but I'd prefer to avoid this for space considerations and having to deal with moving one.

Look for wine fridges. They often don't have the compressor hump. Another option would be freezers. Some of the small chest freezers are surprisingly small and might work for you. Also look at upright frost-free freezers. They work great but can be expensive when new.

Think about using an apartment fridge. That will be bigger than a dorm but smaller than a full sized behemoth. I've got one and it works like a charm.

Back