Fermentation / Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxCaseyBrewxX

Reaction score
What's up everyone!

I'm brewing my first batch (all grain) and decided to go with a Double IPA considering this is what I love to drink. It's been fermenting now for 9 days and the airlock is bubbling approximately once every 10 seconds or so. Someone told me that I may have under pitched as it should have stopped after 7 days. Any thoughts on this? How long should this process take considering the bubbling rate?

I appreciate your responses! Will learn from each of you :)

Bubbling in the airlock has nothing to do with fermentation!
Most likely its done and just off gassing. The only way to tell is to take a hydrometer reading.

The only way to tell is with your hydrometer. A bubbling airlock is just that... a bubbling airlock. Too many people (myself included when I started out) use that to judge fermentation pace.

More info on your recipe like your OG, yeast, methods, mash temp and pitch rate would help others give you some advise. But with a double IPA I would assume that you were up there in the OG numbers, like 1.080 or so. I would give a beer like that at least 2-3 weeks in primary before I even touched it - then I would dryhop after I was sure that fermentation was done. The only way to find this out is with your hydrometer.

The OG was 1.066 and I mashed at 152. I used1. Pack of Wyeast (American Ale) Activator

Should I take a hydrometer reading, and another a couple days later to see if they are consistent? And, if so, dump yeast and start dry hopping?

At 1.066 I'm not sure that I'd put it in "Double" territory, but that's besides the point.

One smack pack was underpitching - you should have made a starter for this beer and yeast. That's not the end of the world - it will still work, but you may just get a little more off flavors and it will take a bit longer. I wouldn't pitch any more yeast in it now. Take a gravity reading tomorrow, then wait 3 days and take another one on day 14. If they are the same then it's done. If they are, then start your dryhopping (either in primary or in secondary, doesn't seem to really matter IMO).

Don't just go dumping more yeast in - not really sure hat you're asking there.

Thanks so much! I'll start reading more on pitch rate, etc. I definitely want to avoid this going forward. I will say this though... it is giving off some good aroma!

And I have a conical fermenter, so I was referring to disposing it. My buddy sold it to me for cheap :)

Awesome! I would have loved a conical starting out! Actually.... I still would love a conical... haha. Patience is one of the hardest things for a brewer to have, especially when starting out. The best way to combat this is to keep a pipeline going and brew often so that you aren't just sitting and waiting on one beer. I've gotten myself to the point were I actually have too many beers in fermenters and I leave them in there until I get around to transferring, kegging, or bottling them.

The biggest factors that can improve your beer, besides really good sanitation, are: Temperature Control, Pitching Rates, and Aeration.

I would say that temp control is definitely at the top of that list though. Without it, you will never really make great beers.... Take a look at the DIY stir plates on this forum for help in making starters, and get yourself an old chest freezer and temp controller or at least a swamp cooler for those proper temps. There are so many great ideas on this site.

Cheers!

I just want to reitterate what OCBrewin said. I have had temp control in my fermentation for about a year now and it has made a huge difference in quality, but I never paid much attention to pitching rates and aeration. My last 3 or 4 batches I have properlay aerated and pitched an appropriate starter...again, made a significant possitive impact on the quality of my beers.

FWIW I also have a DIPA that is dry hopping. Started at 1.080 and ended at 1.011. I am very tankful that I have ample headspace in my Speidel fermenter.

Back