Fermentation done after 7 days 1st time liquid yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evaug004

Reaction score
I brewed this mixture of ingredients last week and had a OG of 1.050 and just took a sample and tested and got 1.012 which would make it a ABV of 5.0. First time using liquid yeast. I pitch at 60 F. It lagged in getting started and didnt kick off till after about 18 hours and she got wickedly close to blowing but didnt. After a day or to it calmed down. Cake is at the bottom and the top is calm. Not seeing much for activity. Can it be done ???? As a side note it fermented between 72-74 F . Was that a little high?

6.6 lbs pilsner light malt extract
1lb crystal malt 40l
Centennial 2oz @60
Amarillo 1oz @ 10
Irish moss 1tsp @ 30
Liquids yeast English ale wlp002

Steeped malt at 150 for 30 before bringing to a boil and topping off water for the 60 min boil of the malt and hops.

It is probably done, but give it another week. The yeast will clean up byproducts produced early in fermentation. I like to swirl the fermenter everyday once the krausen has fallen. It helps to keep the yeast in suspension. You may find that it drops the gravity a few more points during the week. It is almost guaranteed to make the beer better, but it definitely won't be worse.

7 days is perfectly reasonable, all my ales finish in 2-4 days, but i still give it 2 weeks to clear/condition

you definitely fermented that too high, but it'll still be beer just extra estery, so you may want to give it even longer to help clean up even more. in the future, unless its belgian/wheat, keep it under 70F, especially with english strains. also, in case those were ambient temps, remember that the beer temp will be an extra 3F+ higher, so you want to keep it below what you intend to ferment at

72-74F is why it went so fast. I had a wheat beer that fermented at 69F finish in 4 days to FG but I always leave mine at least 3 weeks in primary so they can clean themselves up. Next time try to keep the beer temp in the mid-60's and you'll get a much cleaner tasting beer.

Back