Fermentation continuing past goal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogarthster

How can I destroy this batch ...
Reaction score
Brewed the Brewer's Best Belgian Tripel on 11/30 (OG 1.081). The fermentation got stuck at 1.031 through 12/21. I read on these forums that this does sometimes happen with this kit.

I checked around with brewers I knew and got a variety of responses: Stir it up, raise the temperature, add another yeast. Well I stirred it up (gently) and waited a day or two and saw no bubbles in the airlock. I then added another yeast (CBC) which I was told would chew through anything. Waited a little longer w/o result. Frustrated I added yet another yeast that I had laying around (S-05).

Finally I raised the temperature from 72 to 80F. Duh! That produced much better results. Got the SG down to 1.012 today (3/10). This is well below the kit target and nearly outside the style limit.

It is a drinkable beer but still has some sweetness. The BJCP guidelines don't mention a sweet taste. I really don't want the gravity to drop anymore.

If I drop the temperature to into the 50's will that stop fermentation and allow me to bottle without worry about bottle bombs?

You added 3 different yeasts. All have different attenuation expectations. It's kind of like 3 different armies on the battlefield at once. Never certain which will become dominant. That's why the universal recommendation is bottle if the SG has ceased dropping for 3-5 consecutive days. Bubbles in the airlock merely mean the pressure in the fermenter is higher than that in the atmosphere and airlock is doing its job of equalizing pressure. It's not a fermentation gage, although it's fun to sit down in the afternoon and watch it for a few hourrs, kind of like a lava lamp :) Active fermentation can change that pressure delta, but so can a change in outside atmospheric pressure. If your beer is too sweet, make a note and next time add more IBUs to the 60 minute hops addition.

It would help others who are planning to brew this same beer, if you posted the original yeast pitched, volume of yeast, and the volume of wort.

Back