Fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
Is a fermentation chamber necessary? My house usually stays anywhere from 60 (in bad situations) and 72 degrees. I'd like to not have to buy another fridge for brew, but I will if I need to.

Lows 60's should be okay, but during active fermentation the wort will can actually be several degrees higher than ambient. There are many ways to keep it cool. Put in a bucket of water and toss ice packs into the water. Put a wet shirt over the fermenter and put a fan on it, the evaporation will keep the fermenter cool.

The main reason for a fermentation temperature is to hold the wort at a stable temperature. Yeast ferments at its best when there are no temperature swings. The temperature of the wort is mostly dictated by the yeast being used and the style of beer, whether a lager or ale.

Is a fermentation chamber necessary?

It's not necessary to make beer. However, IMO, it's necessary to make great beer consistently. Evaluate what you want from this hobby and then make your decision to purchase or not. I was lucky enough to get a chest freezer for free and a Johnson temp controller on amazon for cheap. I couldn't be happier. Not only are my temps controlled, but I can set it and forget it (something that you can't do with swamp coolers).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You should probably have some method for controlling the temp. 72 is a little warm for most styles in my opinion. If the beer stayed at 72 you could get away with it depending on what yeast you use. But yeast will make it's own heat, which makes it ferment faster, which creates more heat, and it basically becomes a positive feedback loop that can get out of control. I had one batch that got up to 85 degrees in a 68 degree room when I started out. You also want to avoid up and down swings.

You don't necessarily have to use a fridge though. I just keep my fermenters in plastic tubs full of water to help conduct away the extra heat from fermentation. It also keeps the temps nice and stable because of the larger thermal mass. I don't need any ice or wet t-shirts like some people and my temps stay in the mid 60's, but I live in a cool dry climate and use glass carboys, so that could have something to do with it. I'm actually looking to get an aquarium heater so I can raise the temp a bit towards the end, but that's still cheaper and takes up less space than a fridge. That setup may not work for everyone, but my point is you can experiment and figure out what works for you if you don't want to go the fridge route.

Is a fermentation chamber necessary? My house usually stays anywhere from 60 (in bad situations) and 72 degrees. I'd like to not have to buy another fridge for brew, but I will if I need to.

Hello, Like was said above, water in a tub, but fermenter in that, add frozen 32oz bottles to cool it.

Rope handle tub from walmart is about $6

Cheers :mug:

I bought a chest freezer, a brew belt and made up a dual stage temperature controller using an STC-1000. I bought everything brand new, even the chest freezer (should have looked harder for something used to bring my cost down). So my "set it and forget it" temperature control system cost me around $300CDN.

If money was tight or I didn't have the space for it I would have explored other options but, as it stands right now, not having to babysit my beer during fermentation is worth it to me.

not having to babysit my beer during fermentation is worth it to me.

Exactly.

Additionally, a fermentation chamber offers more flexibility. You can do lagers at low temps, ales at mid temps, and Belgians at high temps all with the push of a button. You aren't going to do Belgians with a tub and water bottles in the winter. Similarly, doing lagers is probably out of the question. Using a tub and water bottles seems to favor traditional ale fermentations. If that's what you are going for then it is an attractive option. But keep in mind that ale strains have a wide range of temp tolerances and flavor can be manipulated by fermentation temps. That's why it's important to have precise control.

I'm not trying to hate on tubs and water bottles. To each his own. Everyone has different constraints and a different approach to this hobby, and I respect that. I'm just trying to give the OP practical information so that he can make a decision on his own based on how he wants to pursue this hobby. Like I said earlier, a ferm chamber isn't necessary to make beer, but it offers convenience, flexibility, a consistency. All of which are keys to making great tasting beer day in and day out.

I bought a chest freezer, a brew belt and made up a dual stage temperature controller using an STC-1000. I bought everything brand new, even the chest freezer (should have looked harder for something used to bring my cost down). So my "set it and forget it" temperature control system cost me around $300CDN.

If money was tight or I didn't have the space for it I would have explored other options but, as it stands right now, not having to babysit my beer during fermentation is worth it to me.

Exactly.

Additionally, a fermentation chamber offers more flexibility. You can do lagers at low temps, ales at mid temps, and Belgians at high temps all with the push of a button. You aren't going to do Belgians with a tub and water bottles in the winter. Similarly, doing lagers is probably out of the question. Using a tub and water bottles seems to favor traditional ale fermentations. If that's what you are going for then it is an attractive option. But keep in mind that ale strains have a wide range of temp tolerances and flavor can be manipulated by fermentation temps. That's why it's important to have precise control.

I'm not trying to hate on tubs and water bottles. To each his own. Everyone has different constraints and a different approach to this hobby, and I respect that. I'm just trying to give the OP practical information so that he can make a decision on his own based on how he wants to pursue this hobby. Like I said earlier, a ferm chamber isn't necessary to make beer, but it offers convenience, flexibility, a consistency. All of which are keys to making great tasting beer day in and day out.

Like DaNewf said, I was going to build a chest freezer fermentation chamber and I priced everything out, it came out to around $300 US to build a 5 cubic foot one, and before anyone go's there, you can't find a good used $20 freezer where I live. people here think they are made out of gold for some reason.

Like IL1kebeer said, A temp controlled fermentation chamber would be best, and as far as giving practical information to make a informed decision on, Im all for that too, and I think that is great advice, as far as doing Belgians, a $6 swamp cooler with a $20 fish aquarium heater works great for fermenting high temp yeast, set it and forget it, I do it all the time.

All that being said, and after pricing out a 5 cubic freezer build at $300 bucks.

I had this crazy Idea, what about a completely temp controlled room, so I priced that out.

And here is what I did for my temp controlled fermentation chamber.

Its 676 cubic feet, and cost a total of $340 including insulating over the window, the new A/C unit, new heater and cabinet with shelves (bought at auction) and new mood lighting behind the top row of bottles, I can regulate a constant temp + or - 1 deg, from 64 deg up to 80+ deg year round.

Sometimes I just sit in my fermentation chamber drinking beer and listen to music.
Cheers to all that brew ! :mug:

IMG_1987.jpg

One thing I didn't see mentioned is: When you have that one batch that the ferment goes crazy on and fills up that air lock, plugs up the holes and boom! The airlock and beer go everywhere. It's much easier to clean the fermentation chamber than the carpet and ceiling. (and all the coats that were in that closet) Plus out of all the brewing equipment I've gathered over the 20+ years I've been brewing fermentation temp control has improved my beer the most.

Proper fermentation control is up there in the top 3 things to making good beer great. Along with probably Pitch rate/Aeration and Water...

One thing I didn't see mentioned is: When you have that one batch that the ferment goes crazy on and fills up that air lock, plugs up the holes and boom! The airlock and beer go everywhere. It's much easier to clean the fermentation chamber than the carpet and ceiling. (and all the coats that were in that closet) Plus out of all the brewing equipment I've gathered over the 20+ years I've been brewing fermentation temp control has improved my beer the most.

Wow Really ? Simple cut open holes in bottom of airlock and use A Blow Off Tube, this will prevent that from ever happening.

I don't keep coats in my brew room.

And why on earth would you throw away 20+ years of equipment you gathered just because it got some yeast & beer on it? you can wash equipment.

If you have a vehicle available that will haul a fridge or freezer and are patient, Craigslist deals on used fridges and freezers can be had. Look for moving sales and be a tough negotiator since they often want cash way more than the fridge. That plus a controller outlet box built with a $20 STC-1000 and you're good to go.

It depends. You can guarantee best results if you can control temperature. A fridge or freezer is a sure fire way. Using ice or swamp coolers is possible but less reliable and higher maintenance.

You other option is to brew with the seasons. Brew clean ales in cooler months, and brew the funkier higher temperature yeasts in warmer months.

Wow Really ? Simple cut open holes in bottom of airlock and use A Blow Off Tube, this will prevent that from ever happening.

I don't keep coats in my brew room.

And why on earth would you throw away 20+ years of equipment you gathered just because it got some yeast & beer on it? you can wash equipment.

I think you misunderstood the what I was trying to say. I ferment in 6.5g carboys which are normally more than enough for a 5g batch. I also use 3 piece air locks not blow off tubes. Now if you happen to have one of those crazy ferments that is more than a 6.5g carboy can handle (which you dont know until it happens) you have a mess to clean up.

As a newer home brewer at the time one of the cooler rooms to ferment in happened to be the coat closet. Beer all over the coats didn't go over well with SWMBO.

Keep in mind that all most all new brewers don't have brew rooms and no I haven't thrown anything away. I still have my first 3g ceramic pot I did partial boils on. :D

I think you misunderstood the what I was trying to say. I ferment in 6.5g carboys which are normally more than enough for a 5g batch. I also use 3 piece air locks not blow off tubes. Now if you happen to have one of those crazy ferments that is more than a 6.5g carboy can handle (which you dont know until it happens) you have a mess to clean up.

As a newer home brewer at the time one of the cooler rooms to ferment in happened to be the coat closet. Beer all over the coats didn't go over well with SWMBO.

Keep in mind that all most all new brewers don't have brew rooms and no I haven't thrown anything away. I still have my first 3g ceramic pot I did partial boils on. :D

Nope I got it the first time !

+1 DaNewf, that is exactly what I did. Of course it isn't necessary, but it certainly is very nice to have. I looked at used freezers, but ended up getting one on sale at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back