Fermentation Chamber Wiring Help PID w/ SSR Heat & Cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twisted-brew

Reaction score
Fermentation Chamber Wiring Help PID w/ SSR Heat & Cooling

Please assist me with AGPtek PID TA4-SSR wiring. I've searched high and low for a wiring diagram but cannot find one for what I am trying to accomplish. I want the unit to switch a cooler (True GDM49) and personal heater (200W) on and off. I could take the easy route and wire a STC1000 to the coolers stat but don't want the cooler running constantly. The unit draws 10 amps when running with compressor. I am not sure what it pulls when the compressor is not running.

The object of this build is to wire a True GDM 49 cooler into a SSR to PID as a fermentation chamber and a small heater to an SSR to PID as well. I want to use the compressor as the cooling unit portion and a 200W personal heater to raise the temp as/if needed. The temperatures needed range from 40*F to 80*F for fermentation depending on yeast strain. I want to ensure I have this correct.

I will also be using a K Type temperature sensor in water to monitor temperatures. It has a red and blue wire. The sensor will be used to measure liquid temperature, not ambient air. Yeast added to wort relies on certain liquid temperatures. The ambient air temp may be different from a liquid temperature in the cooler.

Thanks in advance for any and all help. If I had hair I'd be pulling it out.

Wiring of PID TA4-SSR:
1. Live 120v (black)
2. Neutral 120v (white)
3. Goes to 3+ on SSR #1
4. Goes to 4- on SSR #1
5. Goes to 3+ on SSR #2
6. Goes to 4- on SSR #2
7. Red K type temperature sensor?
8. Red K type temperature sensor?
9-12 not used?

SSR #1 for cooler:
1. Live from wall
2. Live to cooler
3. From 3+ of PID
4. From 4- of PID

SSR #2 for small 200W personal heater:
1. Live from wall
2. Live to heater
3. From 5+ of PID
4. From 6- of PID

Here is what I came up with:
CCI03302016.jpg

500x1000px-LL-36d4f91a_MypinTA4pinoutschematic.jpeg

I'll give some feedback, although I use STC type controllers. From the diagram I was able to find, the nomenclature of the TA4 is that the three trailing letters stand for the configuration of the three outputs. S=SSR/Logic, R=Relay and T=SCR with the first letter designating OUT1(3/4), the second letter designating OUT2/AL2(11/12) and the third letter designating AL1(5/6).

Therefore a TA4-SSR is a SSR output at 3/4, a SSR output at 11/12 and a Relay contact at 5/6.

I believe you may need a change to the diagram associated with the heat SSR control lines.

BTW, I use a TRUE GDM-10 as a fermentation chamber and have found that attaching the temperature probe to the fermentation vessel under a layer of insulation works VERY well at avoiding temperature swings.

In addition, allowing the evaporator fan to continuously run, helps even out temperature distribution in the unit and alleviates coil frosting during cold crashes. This also allowed me to disconnect my heater since the heat from the 10watt fan will actually slowly raise the temperature with no additional heat required. The GDM-49 may have two 10watt fans.

Thanks raoulii. I forgot to revisit this thread as I found help elsewhere. I did end up going with an ITC1000, which was very easy to wire and effective for this project.

Back