Fermentation chamber question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbkdev

Reaction score
I just bought the Johnson controls digital temp controller so that I can ferment in our freezer. I know fermentation can raise wort temp above room temp, so can I put the controllers temp probe directly into the wort/carboy since I care more about that temp than the ambient temp in the freezer? Sorry if thats a dumb question.

You'd need to set up a SS thermowell and some fittings depending on if your using carboys or buckets. But most people just tape the sensor wrapped in a rag or towel to the side of the vessel and get a good reading like that. Doesn't require anymore equipment that way.

Not a dumb question at all. The consensus seems to be no to placing it directly into the beer from what I remember. There are other ways to pretty accurately tell and control the fermentation temperature. I personally use a thermowell through a carboy cap on my carboys during primary. I also use one on my larger Speidel fermenter. I like the way it performs in this way. You can also tape the probe to the side of the fermenter using insulating material like bubble wrap to detect the temp of the wort through the side instead of the ambient air temp. Some even submerge the probe in a seperate body of water (Ihaven't done this so I can't say whether it damages the probe in time or not). I can only attest to the thermowell method as that is what i have always used since I stared using a chest freezer as a ferm chamber.

Thank you! Is a thermowell like a heat conductive food grade beer condom for the thermometer?

Pretty much.

http://morebeer.com/products/stopper-thermowell.html?gclid=CMG4oMfsqb4CFUYV7Aod6l0A2A

1577.jpg

Back