Fermentation chamber greek tragedy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundevil

Reaction score
Went out to the garage this morning to take a gravity reading before heading to work. Found my fermentation chamber/chest freezer had failed on me.
I live in Phoenix, and with the summer heat the STC was reading close to 90 degrees. I don't know when the freezer failed, but unless it was just hours before I go to the wort, its been exposed to temperatures above 105 degrees.

Is my wort ruined? I had an Oktoberfest (using German ale yeast) that had finished fermenting about 10 days ago and I was letting attenuate a bit more, and a milk stout that was only two weeks old (poor little bastard), and a recently bottled batch of IPA has been carbing up for about two weeks.

I'm sure the yeast is all dead, but assuming I reached FG on the Oktoberfest and Milk Stout (I didn't have time to take a reading this morning, I just focused on getting the wort/beer in the house) are these batches ruined? I am not as concerned about the IPA since it was close to finished, but what about the other two? Pitch a new slurry of yeast and bottle? Keg, force carb and cross fingers? Or just dump the two batches? :(

why-god-why-kitten1.jpg

I'd guess they're ok. I'd also guess the yeast are still alive as the temps didn't get too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd guess both beers are fine, but the only way to really know is to ride it out. Most of the off flavors that can happen from temperatures being to hot, happen in the first few days to maybe a week.

On the yeast, I'm not a person who would know much about the yeast and bottling as I keg 90% of the time, but I'd venture to guess they are okay. Yeast are tougher buggers than people give them credit for. IIRC most yeast die around 130-140 so they probably are just stressed more than anything.

Yeah, it's unlikely you actually killed the yeast. Maybe some off flavors but I think you're probably fine.

Thanks for the advice. I went home on my lunch and pulled a sample from each container. FG was spot on for both, so I divided what I pulled off into two cups, put one cup in the fridge to test for off flavors tonight, and added sugar and sealed the other cups with saran wrap to see if they'll start back up for bottling. Fingers crossed.

So I tested for of flavors last night, and I couldn't detect any. :rockin: But I am not sure the yeast made it for bottling. I filled mason jars half full of the wort, added a little brown sugar, then capped the jars with lids. This morning I opened the jars but there was no noticeable activity of his from C02 escaping. Might take another 24 hours to get going, but in the event that it doesn't, should I force carb and keg, or re-pitch and bottle?

I would prefer to bottle as I have other plans for the kegs, but I don't want to add another layer of complexity to a batch that's already been through the ringer.

Never mind. Yeast cake on the bottom of both jars when I got home. Everyone was right and I'm just impatient. Thanks Home Brew Talk!

Back