Fermentation at it for 8 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeDHelgen

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So, I brewed a stout in the end of March, expecting it to be like most of my other beers. It fermented violently for the first 7-days and when it stopped, I racked it into secondary to clear.

Most of my brews sit in the attic to condition. I know this is a bit dogdy, due to an inability to control temperature, but I'm in scotland and hot days are few and far between, so this generally isn't an issue. However, we had a stretch of warmer days in early April, which re-started fermentation.

Since then, its been releasing bubbles at a steady pace for 2 months.

I obviously racked it too early and should have measured gravity on doing so.

My questions are; will this extended time on the lees damage the flavour at all? Should I re-rack? And, even though the yeast obviously didn't die, should I pitch some more to speed up fermentation?

Cheers! :tank:

I've learned that airlock activity is not an accurate representation of whether or not fermentation is done.

Take gravity readings 3 days apart, if they're low, and the same number, you should be safe bottling/kegging.

Agreed that it is unlikely you are seeing any fermentation. Just co2 being released from solution due to atmospheric/temperature changes.

Bottle it up! :mug:

Can you see if there is a krausen or pellicle or anything? Like the rest, I'd be surprised if it was still fermenting, but take a look at it and see if it looks like it's doing anything. Check the gravity. If all signs point to the beer being done, bottle/keg it and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Extended contact with the less is no big deal, even for two or even four or five months but, if it's really warm in that attic, it might hasten autolysis.

Great! I'll take a reading today, and over the next few days and check. Thanks for your replies!

Latest posts

Back