Fermentation and the looked it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mic92

Reaction score
Hello all! First time brewing a beer, and have a few questions about the fermentation stage.

The bucket I got in a set didn't have a hole for an airlock, so I've had to leave it unclipped on one side a little to let the gasses out. (I'll be getting a better one for next time!)

This is the 7th day of fermentation. The 5th day the reading was 1020, and the 6th day was 1020, and I'll take another reading later today on the hydrometer. I don't have the initial first reading.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441526261.586813.jpg

I can't tell whether fermentation has stopped? Mine is meant to be 1014 apparently.

I'll add some pictures of my brew too for any advise.

Thank you!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441526202.331720.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441526225.433864.jpg

it's too early. those particles floating in the fermentor are yeast.

Do I give it a gentle mix? Or do anything to help it ferment? It's been a week today.
Thanks!

u dont want to introduce any oxygen in the beer, so no to stirring. stop opening the lid and relax.

u dont want to introduce any oxygen in the beer, so no to stirring. stop opening the lid and relax.

Second.

If you let the bucket sit, you might reach that last gravity Plato. What's the bucket temp and what yeast was used?

If you have a LHBS then go buy a drilled lid. Now is the time to keep that bucket sealed. Without an airlock, you'll be basically fermenting open. Between whatever is in the air and you constantly fiddling with it, I'd say your chances of infection are increasing.

If you don't have a place where you can buy a drilled lid, sanitize foil very well and replace your lid with that. Go and drill the lid yourself, wash the lid and sanitize well, and replace. Stick the airlock in there and then leave the beer alone for a few more days.

Thank you all. It's been a colder week so the room temperature is around 18 degrees C. Was tempted to just buy another bucket with airlock and start over.

I am using a small pack of yeast I got with a woodfords sundew brewing kit. What it was I don't know.

I've had the same reading three days in a row now, and there is froth around the barrel (see picture above) so it's done something. Shall I barrel it now?

Nobody can even attempt to tell you if it is done without your recipe.

It could be done, or it might not. Also, have you calibrated your hydrometer? The temperature at which you take your reading matters, too. The same wort/beer can fluctuate several gravity points from 13-22 degrees celcius.

Didn't know the temperature effects the reading. Mines at 18-20 degrees C.

The yeast will settle out to the bottom when its fully done. You will have a clearish beer when it is time to bottle. It is usually good practice to let the yeast sit a minimum 2 weeks in the primary so that they have enough time to clean up after themselves., especially when you did not use a yeast starter. Let it sit for 2 weeks or even 4 weeks if you can wait, you will be rewarded.

I was able to get some suitable buckets and lids from a bakery, of course the lids do not have holes. The way I see it I have a couple of options. 1) drill a small hole to accept a rubber grommet for an airlock or 2) to drill a hole for a drilled stopper wide enough that I can remove the stopper with the airlock and then pass the wine thief through.

My wine thief is a $1.69 plastic baster that I only use for this purpose.

Back