Ferment Soda Pop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karac

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to ferment some soda. Bored and curious. It probably tastes like crap and makes a sticky mess....but hey that doesnt stop my gf....Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had tried so I dont have to.

First post?

You know, you have to be the age of majority in your area to be a member here.

Just sayin'.

I have only 15 or so brews (beer, cider and graff) under my belt. I had never attempted making soda until today, but my 9 year old son has taken an interest in the science and cooking aspects of the brewing process.

His birthday is in a month and he asked me last week if I would help him make the soda for his party. So today we started experimenting with recipes. So we went to the store picked up the ingredients for Cream Soda and Ginger Ale. In about an hour arriving home from the store we had 4 liters of soda in the works. It was a good science lesson for him and in 2-4 days we will taste the fruits of our labor.

Take a look at the soda section on the forum, it was very helpful.

Soda Making

Cheers...:mug:

something like this Mountain Dew Brew? I can't find how they make it but maybe just maybe someone here with a subscription then can help out with that

EDIT
Found it!http://***********/stories/recipes/article/indices/51-recipe-exchange/1172-mountain-brew

I've often wondered about fermenting the soda syrup we use in our fountain at work. I assumed the preservatives would kill the yeast but BYO seems to think otherwise... I might just have to try this...

I would be a little leery of the preservatives too. Ive got a one gallon jug and some unused yeast laying around, maybe Ill just toss em together and see what I get. Worst case scenario I am out $1 and some unused yeast.

I was talking of alcholic soda, but I am going to try to make some ginger beer. I have made the ginger ale that Alton Brown made on his show. With a few tweaks its pretty tasty.

It probably tastes like crap and makes a sticky mess....but hey that doesnt stop my gf....

How has no one made a comment on this yet? Maybe Ive been studying too long and my blood sugar is low, but I would have bet my next brew someone would have said something by now. Ha!

I've done a couple batches of Dr. Pepper beer. The first one wasn't terrible, after enough aging, this is. Interesting, if odd, fruity flavor. Second batch came out dry and tart; not worth drinking.

I found that the sugar content of straight soda pop is too low to make a regular strength beer, so for the first batch, I added some cheap honey to it, and the second batch, corn sugar.

It's a worthwhile project to satisfy your curiosity, if not for actual drinking. It started as an off-hand question from a college roommate: "Can you ferment ANY sugar source?"

Friend of mine usually makes a 5 gal. batch of fermented Mt Dew for an annual get together and its a rave with a select group. If you're interested I'll call her to see what her process is. Apparently the first time she did it it was more as a joke but enough people liked it its an annual expectation now.

I would be more interested in a pic to see what it looks like... A while ago I found a link that i can no longer find that said it looked kind of like used antifreeze...

I found that the sugar content of straight soda pop is too low to make a regular strength beer, so for the first batch, I added some cheap honey to it, and the second batch, corn sugar.

Really? That's kinda surprising that soda isn't sugary enough.

Regular soda pop is loaded with high fructose corn syrup, which is not an ideal fermentable sugar.
regular soda often is loaded with preservatives too, ensuring that it cannot ferment.

soda extracts from the brew store aren't the same as fountain pop in many regards.

regular soda often is loaded with preservatives too, ensuring that it cannot ferment.

Considering the BYO article that I linked earlier it will ferment even though there are preservatives. while I was looking for that link i have found several pages of people saying that they have made it and that it had kind of a Belgian tpe taste to it.

Well, she doesn't have any pics but here's the quote from her e-mail:

I just used whatever brewing yeast I was using at the time.. usually a sweet yeast that comes in the little packets.. I don't remember the exact name.. the two big 'secrets' that seemed to work were to let the mt dew go flat and I started the yeast in a cup with a TON of yeast nutrient.

Certainly doesn't sound very exacting but she says she has good results.

So this thread is dead but
I have been searching around and want to make something along these lines. But with a little tweak here and there. So far recipe idea is
2L Mountain Dew
2L Grape Soda
1/2Lb Cornsugar *depending on Gravity* aiming for 1.090
Gonna yeast it twice in hopes for a solid fermentation.
add some caffeine
Ice it
all in all homebrew 4loko! How mature!
Sorry Didnt even notice dates on this just found it and got excited

What about an all natural soda, no preservatives some local corner stores sell that near me, might make a tasty beverage

Back