Fermenation Stopped In 18 Hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2009tejasph

Reaction score
I am a first time brewer from India and I attempted my 1st brew 3 of days ago.
I found a recepie online that had german pilsner as the base malt and crystal as the speciality malt and used T-58 Fermentis yeast.
Before pitching in the yeast, i created a yeast starter a couple of hours before and then pitched it in. However, there was not fermentation for 12 hours and I think it was because I pitched in the yeast when the wort was at 86 degrees.
I then made another starter using some of the wort and another packet of T-58 at pitched it in when the wort was at 74 degrees. It started fermenting almost immediately. It was bubbling so hard that it kept blowing out the vodka from my airlock so I replaced it with a blowoff tube. Violent bubbling continued for exactly 18 hors after which everything suddenly stopped and has been that way for 48 hours now. There were no temperature changes and the temperature where I live ranges from between 72 & 82 degrees.

I am not sure what's happened or what to do at this point. Any suggestions I could get are very much appreciated :)

P.S. Ive made a 5 Gallon Batch

Creating a starter a couple hours before does not really accomplish much. Starters are about propagating yeast and that is nowhere near enough time for that to happen.
Yes. 86 is hot, but 12 hours is not the point to panic and pitch more yeast. Since the starter was not really a starter, the yeast had a longer lag phase building itself up before it started showing active fermentation. I have had yeast go 48 hours before starting. It the norm but I was patient and it was fine. You got a quick and hot fermentation which may have some off flavors depending upon what yeast was used. But you likely will still end up with beer. Be patient and take some hydrometer readings a few days apart to determine if final gravity has been reached.

Makes sense.....theres a lot to learn from the craft of brewing....especially being patient....

Will let this batch run its course in the fermenter for a couple of weeks and hope that the end result is drinkable :)

Thanks for the advice :)

Back