Fermenation Chamber - Upright Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I would go with a side-by-side and use the freezer as a kegerator or a place to store glasses and hops.

The freezer you posted looks like it would hold something like 4 fermentors.

I've already got a dedicated keezer though. I just need dedicated fermentation.

I've already got a dedicated keezer though. I just need dedicated fermentation.

Freezers like you posted are insanely priced. You'd be better off buying a "fridge only" unit instead of the freezer. It'll probably last longer too! Lots of people do use that type of freezer though, but the price always made me shy away.

Like the other poster commented, a side by side fridge is a great option. Keep the freezer section on the factory temp controller, then wire in your temp controller for the fridge side. Works really well, and it'll last a long time. I keep all my hops in the freezer, and I can fit 2 6.5g carboys in the fridge. You just need to find a wiring schematic for the unit. Google should find it for ya!

Also, side by sides are usually really cheap on CL. Mostly because the freezer size sucks for putting pizzas and stuff in it. Lol! It's a cheap way to get some practice in for DIY homebrewers though!

but if I went with a side by side unit, the fridge part wouldn't allow me to cold crash or lager now would it?

but if I went with a side by side unit, the fridge part wouldn't allow me to cold crash or lager now would it?

Why not? Can you cold crash or lager in a regular fridge? Yep!

You're not changing the freezer at all, just adding a temp controller for the fridge side. The freezer will still freeze, and the fridge side will be whatever you set it to. Easy peasy!

You can't just use a plug and play controller though. You have to rewire the fridge side. It's not hard. You just need to Google a schematic and buy a trusty ol' stc.

:mug:

I use an upright for my kegerator and a chest freezer for my fermenter. I would purchase it used off of craigs list especially if you dont know for sure you are going to like it.

Both work well and, both have pros and cons.

I do the opposite of Brian... use an upright for my fermentation chamber (basically b/c that's all that'll hold my conical) and a chest freezer for storing kegs (although now I have a kegerator in the bar, the chest freezer is for long term storage).

That being said, the upright I got off of Craigslist for ~$120 - I certainly wouldn't want to pay new for that as they are pricey compared with chest freezers. If you're using buckets or carboys I'd use a chest freezer, although I'd make sure I used those brew hauler things for carboys... certainly wouldn't want to try and pick up a full carboy by it's neck!

I use an Upright frost free freezer(what you need) on Craigslist for $100..if your not in a rush i'd recommend that route.

I can fit 2 of my 8 gallon Brewcraft buckets in it(i built a small wood stand out of $3 in wood from Homedepot)

Fridge/Freezer combo's are nice, but also they take up a lot more space. My stand up freezer is maybe 5' tall and 2' wide and 2' deep.

And typically freezers are more energy efficient.

I'm not really into wanting to re-wire anything. I'd rather just buy an upright and add a john sons to it to control temp and call it a day. I can get that at Lowes for $450 delivered to my door. That to me beats out a Craigslist deal where I'd have to A) find the deal. B) screw with rewiring, which isn't my forte and C) truck rentals to even get it home.

I'm not really into wanting to re-wire anything. I'd rather just buy an upright and add a john sons to it to control temp and call it a day. I can get that at Lowes for $450 delivered to my door. That to me beats out a Craigslist deal where I'd have to A) find the deal. B) screw with rewiring, which isn't my forte and C) truck rentals to even get it home.

If you're going that route, buy an extended warranty... 'cus you're gonna kill it eventually. Don't ever mention the Johnson control to Lowe's. Lol!

If you're going that route, buy an extended warranty... 'cus you're gonna kill it eventually. Don't ever mention the Johnson control to Lowe's. Lol!

Why would I kill it? If anything, it would barely be running? No?

Yeah - I don't get that concern either. As long as you use a temp control that won't cycle the freezer too often it should be a non issue and it's unlikely to be running all that often anyway compared to what it would as a true freezer.

I recently purchased a used similar upright freezer on CL for $100 along with a Inkbird controller. I have a 30L & 60L Speidel fermenters as well as cornie kegs I can ferment in and a glass carboy. Due to the 60L Speidel the door wouldn't close due to the shelves on the door protruding into the freezer. I removed the door liner and installed a sheet of fiberglass panel so now the door is flush.

Even though my Inkbird is plug and play I modified the wiring so that the freezer won't activate the defrost cycle while I'm fermenting and I wanted the light to come on when I open the door. I wired it so that it would be easy to convert the wiring back to factory. I also installed a small Lasko heater.

I also have a chest freezer that I converted to a keezer to dispense my kegged beer.

Due to the slippery glass carboy and the heavy 60L fermenter, I wanted an upright freezer to save my back and be able to easily cold crash. I recently did a test with the fermenter filled with water and the temp set to 65 Deg. F. The temperature held within 2 Deg. F. I will test it again with colder temps to see how well it maintains the temperatures.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I've got "keezer" on the mind today. Lol!

Its even less of a concern for a keezer, my chest freezer holding 22.5 gallons of beer(4 kegs + 3gal mini keg) holds temperature for hours at a time without turning on.

Thermal mass is your friend.

Its even less of a concern for a keezer, my chest freezer holding 22.5 gallons of beer(4 kegs + 3gal mini keg) holds temperature for hours at a time without turning on.

Thermal mass is your friend.

This is true, but far too many people don't do what you do... and their keezer suffers. I always have 6 full kegs in mine, although usually half of them are filled with water. Lol!

I've been using uprights and they seem ideal to me as a ferm chamber. I just picked up a second one from an auction site for 200 bucks for my new conical. And I have a chest freezer for my keezer.

6-ANewOldFermChamber.jpg

Why not? Can you cold crash or lager in a regular fridge? Yep!

You're not changing the freezer at all, just adding a temp controller for the fridge side. The freezer will still freeze, and the fridge side will be whatever you set it to. Easy peasy!

You can't just use a plug and play controller though. You have to rewire the fridge side. It's not hard. You just need to Google a schematic and buy a trusty ol' stc.

What is more easy peasy? rewiring a side-by-side refrigerator or plugging the power cord into an upright freezer for fermentation control, using the keezer to cold crash/lager?

Rewiring is probably easier than people think, but I don't believe it is easier than OP's original plan.

Nagorg

It looks like you have the same freezer that I have. You appear to have some mold issues on the rear gaskets. I suggest trying to treat them with bleach or PBW/starsan.

Here is a photo of my freezer:
View attachment 349144

Its like all of these freezers were just copy/pasted from eachother and a few modifications with shape of the top back bit made and a new companies logo slapped on it.

Mines a frigidaire from like 1999.

2013-05-31%2014.09.12.jpg

Nagorg

It looks like you have the same freezer that I have. You appear to have some mold issues on the rear gaskets. I suggest trying to treat them with bleach or PBW/starsan.

Yeah... It was a little dirty but much cheaper than a shiny new one. I have cleaned it up since taking that pic. I had just gotten it home and wanted to see how the conical fit into it.

You should see the $50.00 special I got from Craigs list... It makes this one look great but it's made many batches of awesome beer.

You should have a glass door to showcase your conical.

I wanted one but wasn't willing to shell out the $$$ to get something like a True GDM-23; even used!

Someone started a thread about adding a glass insert to an upright freezer. That I might consider after a while though I'd hate to ruin what I have in the process.

I wanted one but wasn't willing to shell out the $$$ to get something like a True GDM-23; even used!

Someone started a thread about adding a glass insert to an upright freezer. That I might consider after a while though I'd hate to ruin what I have in the process.

You could probably remove the hinges from your existing door and remake a plexi insulated door with seal, so if it doesnt work you can always put your old door back on :)

Back