Fell asleep during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westbrook0

Reaction score
I fell asleep during the boil last night.. pre boil gravity of 1055 and was shooting for an sg of 1072.. when I went downstairs to my brewery at 4.30am the burner was off I must've turned it off (I am a sleepwalker) as that's the only explanation..anyway I'm going to finish the boil tonight just to ad my finishing hops and see how it goes. I cant lose anything other than a bit of yeast.
Has anyone ever done the same? or just left the boiled wort and then brought it back to boil the next day?
The problem I have is I have no idea how long it was boiling for. I quickly took a reading this morning and it's already 1080 so as I was a doing a 60 minute boil to get 1072 and now it's 1080 I would say it had been boiling for 90-120 mins.. does sound right?
Another problem i have is as it has boiled for probably 120mins I had 20gm of summit at at 60 and then another 25gm of summit/chinook at 30mins (then I fell asleep) the IBU's which I havent done the calculations yet will be through the roof?
Thoughts on adding water to bring the gravity down before I boil tonight or just leave it at 1080 due to the higher IBU?

specs: mashed at 64 degrees 90mins
ibu's around mid 60's from memory
pale/golden promise base 85%... caramuich, dark munich, melanoidin

That's what I'd do. Add water, pull all the hops. Then boil back down to your 1.072. Should only take 10 minutes at full boil to kill off any nasties that may have gotten in so don't go overboard with the dilution.

And, nope, I've never done that.

I would add water as well and boil to your gravity. I suppose I'd add a little more hops.

Just out of curiosity, did you actually go upstairs and fall asleep during the boil? Maybe I misread, but that's pretty ballsy if you did do that.

How do you fall asleep during the boil? And with a burner going...

Latest posts

Back