Feedback requested: Homemade lightbox results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grippe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some assistance on getting better photographs. I built a homemade lightbox and would like to see better photographs. I'm using three lights and the flash on a cheap Sony digicam (two of the lights are on the cutouts on the side of the lightbox and the third is on the open end high oblique angle). I took pix of 4 of the 5 currently on tap in different vessels for scrutiny.

What I'd like to see is more depth inside of the liquid instead of the glass as well as less shadow. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

First up - what I'd like to be able to produce:
depositphotos_3099808-Beer-mug.jpg

Edwort's Apfelwein in a Boda white wine glass:
DSC01003.JPG

Sweet Stout in standard Ale trappings (nitro first):
DSC01004.JPG

(Final pour):
DSC01009.JPG

American Lager in a pilsner flute:
DSC01012.JPG

Fischer Amber clone in a Czech chalice:
DSC01013.JPG

Not sure what kind of light box you have, but it seems to be limiting you based on design. The picture you are aiming for is shot from below to be able to show the bubbles in the top of the glass, base of head which gives a nice touch.

On the focus issue you have two modes of attack use them both.

Depth of field: Use a higher aperture F22 or F16, to get a higher DOF. If you do not have that control you can choose a higher ASA or slower shutter speed to create a higher aperture.

Manual focus: You can see the front of the glass is sharp the rim becomes fuzzy by half way back. If you can manually focus so it is 1/3 the way back from the front of the glass, combined with a higher aperture, it should have the whole glass in focus. If you can't manually focus try locking the focusing with the camera 1.5" back then move forward and snap the photo.

Move the top light towards the back to fill in the shadow. You could also put white paper or foamcore inside the light box to bounce the lights off of to fill in the shadowed area.

I don't know all the tricks beer photographers use but I do know the picture shown started with a perfect pour. An example of a trick food photographers use is to use elmers glue for milk in cereal pics. I imagine they have similar tricks for beer as well.

I played with this a while ago and decided you really really want some light coming from behind the beer. I used a maglight to bounce a small circle of light off my white background to get pretty good results.

This was one of my better shots
16-glass-backlight-4536-59078.jpg

If the backing is semi-opaque, you can put a light behind there to help minimize that harsh shadow. You can also have the background further away and open up the aperture to at least 3.5 to blur that background out. Liquids are tricky to shoot because if you use the traditional three point lighting, you can get get some weird reflections. Try mostly back and back-side lighting. Clean your glasses really well to avoid the bubbles.

Some more suggestions

Shoot raw if your camera allows it.

Remove the windows or cutouts or cover them with the same material as the rest of the if you can. Put the flashes further away from the side of the tent for a more diffused or softer light. This should remove the hotspots or lights being seen in the glass. I am not sure what you can do to remove the image of the camera though but I can see the lens reflected in some of the shots.

One more issue is color cast of your lights. If you have a flash on your camera and normal incandescent or CF bulbs on the sides each source of light might giving off different spectrum of light. You can fix this a bit in post processing but try to get them balanced for the shot.

I would move the glass farther from the background and like the others suggested bounce some light off the back. Also, I would pull the side lights back a little bit to give a softer wraparound.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

Like others have said, you need to turn off the flash and light from the outside indirectly. There are some good (inexpensive) light tents just for this.

You also want to bump up the exposure - you want to blow out the background completely making it 100% white.

Kal

You inspired me to go out and get a light tent of my own. Turns out one of the ebay sellers is in town so I picked it up directly. Pulled out my old studio lighting stuff. I hadn't used in about 15 years and was never that proficient then.

Here is my first attempt at using it.

IMG_5059.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5090.JPG

IMG_5130-Edit.JPG

Back