feedback on robust porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryancrook

Reaction score
Inspired by Everett, I want to make a robust porter that's got a ton of flavor while still being balanced. I've seen the BYO clone recipe, and others, but I kinda wanted to do my own thing. I'd like to hear your thoughts on it!

batch size: 6 gallons
OG: 1.084
FG: 1.025
IBUs: 53
SRM: 40
ABV: 7.8

12# 15oz 2-row
2# 9.4oz vienna
1# 4.7oz carapils
1# chocolate
1# C60
13.6oz C80
12oz roast barley
1.6oz columbus @ 60
Wyeast 1318

Mash base grains & carapils @ 156 for 60 mins. Add crystal/roast malts in last 15mins.

Ferment at 64 until 90% attenuation has been reached, then bump temp to 67 until terminal gravity.

Less is more! Id drop the carapils and Vienna. Keep roast barley low. Consider replacing some crystal malt with brown malt (like a pound or two).

yeah you definitely do nto need over 1lb of carapils. Most people use 4-8oz

why are you adding the roast and crystal malts at the end? I do that for my Black IPAs, but thats jsut to minimize roast character. A "robust" porter is supposed to be roasty...

+1 on the brown malt. Brown and crystal malt together is a good combo. Plus chocolate too

Latest posts

Back