Feedback on old ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
14.25lbs maris Otter
1lb weyerman smoked malt
0.5lb British caramel 80
0.25lb simpsons double roasted caramel 120
0.25lb midnight wheat
1lb treacle
1oz warrior 17.5%AA @60min
1oz styrian goldings @15mins

Mash148F

Ferment with burtonWLP023

Barrel age for 3 months or till ready

SG 1.078
FG 1.017
IBU's 52

Some of these choices are based on what I have in stock. The smoked malt isn't there to make it a smoked beer, I want a subtle hint of complementing smoke.

Also comments on the yeast choice would be good.

I have never used Smoked malt but every post about it says a little goes a long ways. I hope someone else will comment. I believe that 2 or 3 ounces is what you want for a hint of smoke.:mug:

Peat malt goes a long way, however I have seen recipes that add a big chunk of smoked malt too. I made a scotch ale that I believe was 20% smoked and it was a strong but not over bearing smoke flavor.

For an old ale that actually looks really good to me

Just read in Mosher's Radical Brewing that a pound or two of the commercially smoked malt is good if you want a noticeable smoke aroma so that's my 2 cents. I've never brewed with it either, just offering a literal source.

I have never used Smoked malt but every post about it says a little goes a long ways. I hope someone else will comment. I believe that 2 or 3 ounces is what you want for a hint of smoke.:mug:

Peat malt goes a long way, however I have seen recipes that add a big chunk of smoked malt too. I made a scotch ale that I believe was 20% smoked and it was a strong but not over bearing smoke flavor.

For an old ale that actually looks really good to me

Yeah thats how I understand it. Peat smoked malt you use in tiny quantities, raunch malt can be used up to 100%. Peat smoked also provides lots of phenols which is not necessarily what I am after.

Back