Feedback on my crush, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiMithing83

Reaction score
Making the leap from extract to biab. Got a mill and finally got some grain to run through for cleaning and adjusting the crush. This is set to .025 with feeler gauges, how does it look?

Edit: 3 roller mill, secondary gap is at .025... I think primary is .040.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, my only reference is specialty grains with a LHBS crush, not the best for good efficiency on BIAB.
20180725_134906.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good I think. Iv'e got my mill set to 0.035 and do a double crush so I'd say mine looks the same as yours. Fine crush is key with BIAB (or so I'm told) so I'd say you're on the money.

If you do enough reading, you'll see a range of .020 to .035. Most BIABers are right around where you are. You should aim for zero whole kernels without turning it all to powder; some powder is fine for BIAB. Oh, and make sure you actually inspect some of it to make sure there aren't any whole kernels. If you just glance at the final product, all the husks can sometimes hide them. Happy brewing!

If you do enough reading, you'll see a range of .020 to .035. Most BIABers are right around where you are. You should aim for zero whole kernels, and not too much powder; some powder is fine for BIAB. Oh, and make sure you actually inspect some of it to make sure there aren't any whole kernels. If you just glance at the final product, all the husks can sometimes hide them. Happy brewing!
Yes, this is how I decided on the .025... unfortunately I already tossed the grain (it was just to clean the mill of any residual manufacturing oil), but next brew day I'll give it a thorough inspection.

Can you get the grain to feed through if you set it tighter? If so, do it.
Maybe, but my drill already had a hard time starting, so I might wait until I get a dedicated mill drill before going any tighter. Don't want to burn up my diy drill.

I would say it is great for the price :), and a good powerful drill for turning a mill.
I ordered two bags from you maybe 2 months ago. I haven't used the larger one yet, but I used the smaller one (I plan to eventually use it for small batches of high abv brews) for my specialty grains on an extract batch and it was wonderful. Really looking forward to using the big one, the fit is fantastic on these. Just wanted to give you some kudos on the great product.

Back