Feedback on a Pale Ale - Playing with Calypso

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDevlin75

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I hope all is well!

So I’m looking to brew a pale ale for the summer, and I'd like a hint of apple to it. I’ve heard that Calypso hops imparts an apple/pear aroma, and I’m thinking I might take a stab at adding some to my recipe. I’ve pondered adding some apple cider, but I don’t know if that will add more apple than I’m really looking for. If anyone has any experience brewing with Calypso, I’d love to hear your thoughts on it. I’m thinking I’ll add some at flameout and as a dry hop addition.

I also felt like adding something else to the hop schedule, and in looking online, I like how Summer Saaz is described… Never tried it before, so I figure I’ll add some of that as well. I’m really just playing around here… Stop me if you think there’s something that just doesn’t work well in here

Pale Ale
All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.012
IBU: 44.7
SRM: 6

8 lb - 2 Row
2 lb - Vienna
9 oz - Crystal 40
5 oz - Carapils
4 oz - Honey Malt

Mash at 152 for 60

1 oz Galena @ FWH
1 oz Summer Saaz @ 5
.75 oz Calypso @ 0
1 oz Calypso dry hopped for last 7 days of 2ndary

WLP060 American Ale

So… Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
-Pete

For a 5.5 gal batch, use more Calypso. Like 1oz at 0, 2oz whirlpool, and 3oz dry hop for five days. I've used it before, and got a little pear but not sure about the apple.

You want apple, add apple juice, as much as you can ..... of course with all-grain, you do not have much available volume.

Apple Juice is about 1.050. Add a couple of gallons and see if you can reconfigure your recipe to use it. Apple juice will completely ferment out (to 0.996-0.998 area using ale yeast), so the flavor will be subtle. Mash high to offset the fermentability of the juice. Do not boil the juice, or you will set a pectin haze.

Back