Feedback for a Yuengling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
I've been toying around with this for a while pulling bits and pieces from websites. This does not seem like a popular beer for home brewers, but I think it's pretty tasty. I would really love to get a close clone if I could. I found a recipe from AIH, but it does not list a fermenting lagering schedule.

Could I get ya'lls feedback on the grain and hop bill, plus a recommended ferment and lagering schedule?

Yuengling

Premium American Lager (1 C)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.97 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 7.28 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.25 gal
Fermentation: Lager, Two Stage

Date: 25 Oct 2015
Brewer: Ken Taylor
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Pot and Cooler (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.5 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

9.6 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 4.4 %
10 lbs 13.3 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 80.3 %
1 lbs 3.3 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.9 %
9.2 oz Caramel Malt - 120L (Briess) (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
4.6 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.1 %

Mashh In Add 16.87 qt of water at 162.9 F 148.0 F 60 min
Mash Out 170.0 F 10 min
Fly sparge with 3.68 gal water at 200.0 F

0.89 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.8 IBUs
1.20 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.70 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 2.2 IBUs

View attachment Yuengling.bsmx

Thanks much,

Ken

As a premium American lager, Yeungling is almost certainly brewed with some corn, and probably no amber malt. Are you trying to make the Traditional, or the Premium?

For the Premium: To lighten the flavor (and cut back the OG, getting your ABV down to the listed 4.4%), you might split your pale malt 50/50 between six-row and two row (Pilsner, if you have it), and drop the amount to 7 lbs. total. Replacing the amber malt with a pound of corn grits* will add that corn aroma and flavor that Yeungling has. C120L is pretty fruity, and will make your beer darker than the Premium - you could go with, say, 12 oz. of C10L and 6 oz. of C40L. That would give you an OG of around 1040 and SRM around 5.

*I like instant grits because it allows me to sidestep cereal mashing.

For the Traditional: The Munich malt makes sense - maybe swap out a pound each of six-row and two-row pale malts for 2 lbs. of Munich. If you then traded C10L for C80L, you would get more caramel and less fruit than the C120L. The OG would stay the same (~1040), and the color would be noticeably darker (~10).

I prefer more hop additions in smaller amounts, but that is probably nothing more than personal preference. You could split your Cluster addition between a 60 minute and a 30 minute, and your Cascade between a 15 minute and 5 minute, trying to wind up with about 30 IBU.

For lager yeast, a lot of people like Wyeast 2042 (Miller) or 2035 (August Schell). I am more a fan of dry yeast, and might go with Fermentis W34/70 (Weihenstephan) - higher cell count for less money, broad temperature range.

Best of luck. Post your results.

Yuengling is pale malt, corn grits, with hop extract, and caramel color.

You could get something close with 85% pale, 2-row, 15% flaked corn, and cluster @ 90 for ~18 IBU. Ferment with clean, neutral yeast and add caramel coloring (caramel 300 probably) before bottling/kegging.

Wyeast 2272 would be first choice, California Lager would also work well.

Rice hulls diffuse the mash slightly, helping you a) achieve a more uniform mash temperature throughout the grain, and b) prevent a stuck sparge.

Rice hulls diffuse the mash slightly, helping you a) achieve a more uniform mash temperature throughout the grain, and b) prevent a stuck sparge.

I've only seen people using rice hulls with heavy amounts of adjunts. An all grain mash should have enough barley husks to prevent the sparge from getting stuck if you're using proper technique.

I've only seen people using rice hulls with heavy amounts of adjunts. An all grain mash should have enough barley husks to prevent the sparge from getting stuck if you're using proper technique.

Yeah, that was why I asked the question. There's no need for rice hulls here. Others have stated that Yuengling should have some corn in the recipe. I was thinking maybe this particular recipe was intending to use rice as the adjunct instead of corn, but the OP put rice hulls in his BS recipe instead of actual rice.

Hey guys, I just woke up. Thanks for the replies.

I'm aiming for the traditional style. Well the store bought has traditional on the label anyway if that is what you are talking about. I took this recipe off AIH website and scaled up to 6 gallons, so I have to put my trust in those that made the recipe. The exception to this is the rice hulls. I've only recently started using these, for no other reason than a fail safe. My thoughts is, if it does not take away from the flavor, why not? Maybe I need to rethink this. Out of about 30 batches, I've only had one stuck sparge, but for .75 cents worth of rice hulls, I figured it was cheap insurance.

I do not know my way around the flavors of the grains yet to be shooting by my taste perception. I have read on here though that there is corn in the grain bill for this beer and so I was a lil surprised myself when I seen that it was not included in this one.

While digging for this clone, I found another one in our recipe list here on the HBT forum that I'll try to go dig up. I posted a question to that thread a few weeks back, but never got any feedback.

Here it is below. I'm open to suggestions. I may try both. In the end, it's still beer. lol

Here is the post that was copied below by skeeordye11 about 5 years ago. I'm always open for suggestions, so please keep them coming.

Ken

Default All-Grain - Pottsville Common (Yeungling Lager Attempt)
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 2112
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 21.4
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 9.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 32 @ 62-64
Tasting Notes: Taste is spot on to Yeungling. Color is just a bit light.

# 46 Pottsville Common
Premium American Lager

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/24/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: TRASK
Boil Size: 7.18 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 5.13 %
6.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.54 %
2.50 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 25.64 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.25 oz Chinook [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
1 Pkgs California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.48 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.17 %
Bitterness: 21.4 IBU Calories: 205 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 9.75 lb
Sparge Water: 4.15 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 12.19 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.80 qt of water at 200.2 F 168.0 F

Taste is spot on for Yeungling. Color is just a bit light. Next time I think I'll use a darker Crystal malt, but I wanted to share for AGers looking for a Yeungling recipe. I used the 2112 since I can't yet Lager effectively.

Have you checked out the potsville common thread in the Amber hybrid ale section of the recipes forum?

Oops never mind

Lol, that's a good thread though, just kinda old. I was hoping the clone recipe had been refined a bit since then.

My goal initially was to brew two similar style lagers together that would have the same fermenting schedule. I'm kinda half tempted to do one of each of these and see how they compare.

I don't usually have a problem giving my beer away to get the keg space empty. lol I do find it strange that more people don't seem to brew it. Perhaps it fits into the BMC crowd or something. I find it a pretty enjoyable drink.

Ken

Back