Federweisser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for this? It's also known as "Neuer Suesse" and I've only ever seen it in the wine-growing regions of Germany (mostly in Southern Wurttemberg and the Rhein/Main region). The best way I can describe it is a sparkling, half-fermented grape juice. I realize that that sounds nasty but it really is a phenomenal fall drink and I would LOVE to be able to make it at home since it's not possible to find here. Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federweisser

I figure if you guys don't know how to make it I'm out of luck! Thanks!

Awesome! I had this in Germany a few years ago. It comes around just about the time Oktoberfest starts. From what I remember hearing, it was just wine that was drank before fermentation was complete.

Sorry I couldn't help more on the specifics, but I'll be watching this thread...

Yeah, it's pretty much one of the greatest things ever. I'm 99% positive it's just partially fermented white grape pressinga, usually Riesling (based on my 5-minute conversation with the vintner, but he was old, had a crazy accent, spoke dialect, and my German was not great at the time).

Ideally I'd like to try this from grape pressings to glass, and after a few quick google searches it looks exactly that easy. Looks like I'll wait until fall to try this one... I could probably use some sort of grape extract but I think it would be more fun to try and be as traditional as possible. Anyone know how to go about contacting wineries to buy some of their pressed juice? Thoughts on cost?

Right now the plan is to buy 4 gallons of pressings and do two fermentations side by side - one with the natural yeast in the grapes, and the other using a wine yeast, both sealed and samples taken starting at 4 days. I'll post pics of my process if it works...

Has anyone already tried this?

Oooh yeah this stuff is great. They frequently serve it at wine festivals in the fall in the wine growing regions. We had it in the Mosel town Trier when my wife and I lived there. It's also called "neuwein" or new wine. It's served in the fall right after the harvest is complete and the first wines are just starting to ferment.

I love the super syrupy sugar and alcohol. Never had a chance to get drunks on it, but it must be awesome :)

It sounds like it is just fermenting must in the middle of fermentation. You can do this very easily but it has to be consumed quickly so you need a lot of people. Kegging would work because you need to vent the pressure constantly, otherwise a bottle with a pressure valve in the lid.

I think they probably start a new batch every day and ship it to the bars like fresh milk. If you want to do it at home just do small 1 gallon batches and drink it before it finishes fermenting, you would get maybe a week in a fridge. The faster the ferment the more fizz you would get. It is a very tasty drink, you can use any white grapes, they wouldn't need to be very ripe.

Greg

I only know from drinking it, but the german wiki as some interesting notes.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federweißer

It mentions that fermenting must is taken from all conceivable points in the fermentation process from beginning to almost to the end. It says that typically Bacchus, Ortega or Siegerrebe grapes are used - you experts probably know what those are. It says that known Federweisser have been made out of nearly every concievable grape but typically for commercial reasons they don't make it from grapes that will be more profitable as a certifiably high quality wine.

Me want!

I think the best idea would be to freeze juice in gallon batches, then thaw it out and pitch some rehydrated champagne yeast at about 70F, but adjust the gravity to about 1.070. After a day it would be ready to drink, it would taste ok with red grapes too.
It would be bad for your teeth and waistline. You could also use non-grape juice, just adjust the og to 1.070 with sugar.

Thanks for the info Greg - I will start asking local wineries around harvest time this fall. It's not going to practical to store this, so I think I'll just plan on making it in 1-2 gallon batches once or twice per year and serving up some Flammkuchen to go along with it.

Thanks for the German wiki link, based on that it seems like natural fermentation is OK, but I'll see if get some more fizz by adding some cheap dry yeast.

Back