Fear sells - The Vessi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutman35

Reaction score
I have no problem with the product, concept, or price point, but this video on NB annoyed the hell out of me. Am I just being a curmudgeon, or does anyone else see this as senseless fear mongering in its portrayal of the world and traditional home brewing techniques presenting grave risk to our brew?
https://youtu.be/51aEGCwhgyI

Just sleezy marketing. Really? 7 days and you're drinking? I guess, but I like taking chances. If I was a panty waist like those guys I'd buy my beer.

Its $2575, they need to use fear in the marketing program to sell these.
I just bought some more used Corny kegs for $25 each. I'm going to use my used $100 Chest freezer and ferment my IPA's in one keg and then transfer to another keg for serving. The process of transferring from one keg to another will take a few minutes and my fear of contamination will be controlled by self-medicating with my non-contaminated homebrew.
Compared to buying the Vessi, I'll have more than $2,300
to spend on something else.
People that can afford one and who care about having a nice looking kegerator/fermentor might want one, its just not for me.

Its $2575, they need to use fear in the marketing program to sell these.
I just bought some more used Corny kegs for $25 each. I'm going to use my used $100 Chest freezer and ferment my IPA's in one keg and then transfer to another keg for serving. The process of transferring from one keg to another will take a few minutes and my fear of contamination will be controlled by self-medicating with my non-contaminated homebrew.
Compared to buying the Vessi, I'll have more than $2,300
to spend on something else.
People that can afford one and who care about having a nice looking kegerator/fermentor might want one, its just not for me.

Now you sound like me a year ago in the High gravity vs DIY thread... :p :mug:

I think the fear of contamination tactics are really BS... once the wort has turned to beer and the ph drops to 4-4.2 the risk of contamination becomes low... Ive only ever had 2 contaminated beers out of close to 75 brew sessions now.
Both times they were contributed to mistakes I know I made which were equipment and ingredient related..

I remember hearing a podcast on this. I believe it was a skunk works project from an arm of GE that works on innovation. It's a cool concept, but more of a novelty in my mind. A really expensive novelty. If they could come up with a 3 or 4 vessel version and keep the price reasonable, then they might be able to draw more of the homebrew crowd. Until then they are going to be fishing in a small pond...

I saw the Vessi last year at GABF and still don't understand the allure. You could get a really nice conical, temp control and a carbonation setup for that price point.

I saw the Vessi last year at GABF and still don't understand the allure. You could get a really nice conical, temp control and a carbonation setup for that price point.

I live in a tiny apartment in NYC. I'm pretty sure that I'm the target market for this thing. Unfortunately for them, I live in a tiny apartment in NYC. If I bought this, my landlord might wonder why he didn't receive a rent check that month.

Just sleezy marketing. Really? 7 days and you're drinking? I guess, but I like taking chances. If I was a panty waist like those guys I'd buy my beer.

Totally agree. Plus, it's nicer than a kegerator? Maybe their kegerator.

Saw one on display at a homebrew party a "local" supply shop puts on every year. Interesting concept. I think it would appeal to some people with a good source of income and who doens't necesarily want to fart around with the other methods.

I didn't watch the video, but I can imagine what they are saying. Most benefits to the system aren't even really benefits IMO. Not to me, anyway.

Every hobby attracts people with too much money and the desire to own nice shiny equipment. I used to laugh at the cyclists in team kit on carbon fibre everything as I passed them on my ****ty beater bike, but then I can totally understand gear fetishism and if I didn't have a streak of it running through me I'd not have stainless anything or a few nice tools. Every hobby then has people who get pissed off that those people who either can't afford the shiny stuff, don't desire the nice shiny stuff or get pleasure from making weird things work for them and want to make sure nobody thinks they are jealous or feeling judged and if I didn't have a streak of this running through me I'd have never started brewing in an old plastic dustbin covered in plastic wrap.

That said you've got to draw a line and I'd never buy anything like this. I'd feel like a complete tool and I'm far too self conscious to be taking home brew seriously enough to start getting artisan consumer products to match the drapes. The video is pretty cringe worthy on par with a hipster splitting maul and I feel like showing this off to my friends would be like showing off some weird sex toys or something.

Yep. No problem here with the product, price or demographic who will buy it. My only problem is with the video itself. I've always liked NB, and have bought a lot of great products and kits from them over the years. I think the product stands well on its actual merits for anyone with the means to purchase it. Hell, if I had the resources and space I'd get one to play with. But the video is a bit of balderdash for my liking.

After seeing this I think it would be awesome in RV. Could easily brew on the road and still be able to serve without the need for kegs and bottles.

Couldn't make it 10 seconds into the video because of the narrator. Interesting product if you were only brewing & drinking one beer at a time.

Ugh! Not for me either. I'm sure someone will be happy to purchase this. I'll pass. I actually like the process I go through now.

I was like hmm... ok yeah I guess maybe theres some market somewhere..? (not me) for this ..... then saw the price ... your kidding me ? No thanks's all around millercoorsinbevmegaconglomabrewdominationinc

While I get that it's a tad gimmicky and not to everyone's tastes, I got one and I'm pleased with it. Just finished up primary on a lager and now on my diacetyl rest before dropping temps for lagering. Yeah, it's pricey and you'll need other fermentation vessels, but it's nice and can handle several duties in one.

While I get that it's a tad gimmicky and not to everyone's tastes, I got one and I'm pleased with it. Just finished up primary on a lager and now on my diacetyl rest before dropping temps for lagering. Yeah, it's pricey and you'll need other fermentation vessels, but it's nice and can handle several duties in one.

I have to echo the same thoughts on this one. I was an early backer so my price was a lot less, but I really love my Vessi and am thrilled to be done with carboys and lifting them in and out of my fermentation chamber/keezer. The Vessi does so many things and transferring to kegs after primary fermentation is a snap. I have a 3 tap kegerator in addition to the Vessi, so 4 brews on tap at one time is plenty for me. Vessi was worth every penny for my purposes.

Back