Favorite yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S33? Safale? I really liked and counted on Edme Ale yeast and then they disappeared. I thought I read their yeast got infected. Is this valid? IDK.
I don't know anything about an infection. Edme got bought. First the malt disappeared, then the yeast. The yeast reappeared as Safale S33. Here's quote from an old (before liquid yeast became the thing) MidwestSupplies catalog: "Safbrew S-33 (10 grams) A general purpose, widely used yeast with low attenuation properties. This strain is extremely consistent, with excellent wort attenuation and a superb flavor profile. Edme Strain . . .$2.00" S-33 is some how now marketed as a Belgian ale yeast for instance at Morebeer. As I said, above my pay grade.

You might enjoy a look at the thread "Dry Teast Identified - your opinion please " @frankkvw.

Last edited:
Nottingham and 34/70. Use these almost exclusively now after I went on a few years of liquid yeast because that's what was popular. Found that I love the clean Fermentation from both of these and don't really like fruity or estery beers. I've made American light lagers to Double IPA's with these two.

never heard of "edme yeast"...but got a laugh because, it reminds me of the looney toons and "Acme"

It should be capitalised, the name is an abbreviation of The English Diastatic Malt Extract Company and is still in business and processing grain, but more on the food side now.

https://www.edme.com/about/history/
Windsor, S-33 and Muntons ordinary yeast are all closely related and seem to derive from the EDME yeast, which was one of the main ones available to British homebrewers in the 1980s.

Back