Favorite Tequila

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrews

Reaction score
There is another awesome tequila forum on the web, but I was curious what the beer crowd prefers.
And don't say Tequiza! :drunk:

I have Penca Azul, 4 Copas, Siete Leguas, and Ocho tequila in stock - all blancos. The lone Extra Anejo is an expensive bottle of Casa Noble. I enjoy the blancos straight up or in a nice, fresh, clean margarita sans the salt.

Thats tough cause I like so many good tequilas, but my go to, always on hand, tequila is Corralejo Reposado.

AixYn.jpg

i really want to try corralejo. i've been drinking:

Calende reposado
Antigua Cruz blanco

a classic margarita is one of my favorite drinks.

1.5 - 2 oz tequila, depending...
1oz triple sec
1oz lime

I don't think it gets a bad rap or that it's overpriced.

Tequila Mixto gets a bad rap... The harsh stuff that's only 51% tequila. People tend to love the real 100% blue agave varieties (assuming they know the difference). And you can get those for $20, 30, 40, 50 on average... similarly priced to other spirits. Good scotch and bourbon however can be a bit pricy.

I don't think it gets a bad rap or that it's overpriced.

Tequila Mixto gets a bad rap... The harsh stuff that's only 51% tequila. People tend to love the real 100% blue agave varieties (assuming they know the difference). And you can get those for $20, 30, 40, 50 on average... similarly priced to other spirits. Good scotch and bourbon however can be a bit pricy.

Anytime I mention tequila to people 75% talk about their bad experience shooting crappy tequila. The other 24% talk about how much they love margaritas.

Tequila is definitely priced up through demand. The "super premium" brands like Patron have pushed up demand and risen prices well beyond many other liquors. I agree there are some cheaper quality tequilas but most are overpriced for the ingredients involved. A $45 bottle of blanco is unaged and made from a very hardy plant. For $45 you can get a single malt scotch that requires far more processing on a more sensitive ingredient, requiring replenishment of barrels and most importantly, time. $45 can buy you a 12 year single malt of suitable quality. Even bourbons can justify costs due to constantly needing to buy new barrels. Hell, you can get 7 year old rum for $20.

Anytime I mention tequila to people 75% talk about their bad experience shooting crappy tequila. The other 24% talk about how much they love margaritas.

This mindset is from lack of knowledge. If the only tequila you know is $15 Sauza or Jose Mixto, then of course you will have bad experiences. Too much of that stuff will get anyone sick. The media also plays a role in making people believe that "tequila" at 40% abv is more potent than any other spirit at the same abv.

Tequila is definitely priced up through demand. The "super premium" brands like Patron have pushed up demand and risen prices well beyond many other liquors. I agree there are some cheaper quality tequilas but most are overpriced for the ingredients involved. A $45 bottle of blanco is unaged and made from a very hardy plant. For $45 you can get a single malt scotch that requires far more processing on a more sensitive ingredient, requiring replenishment of barrels and most importantly, time. $45 can buy you a 12 year single malt of suitable quality. Even bourbons can justify costs due to constantly needing to buy new barrels. Hell, you can get 7 year old rum for $20.

Patron is really not all that great. It's decent at best. There are far better brands (albeit a bit more obscure brands) available at a lesser price. I find that the brands you've never heard of are usually the best quality tequila. Patron used to be great back in the day, but the head distiller left and the brand went downhill at the expense of great marketing. The same goes for Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo tequila. The press and popularity and specialty bottles drive that price up in these examples... not the quality of the tequila. Most of the tequilas I buy are more than $20 but less than $50. I feel that I get a great bang for my buck considering Vodka is similarly priced and that is an odorless and flavorless spirit.

I'm a total hidden-gem/bargain hound for liquors. Nothing makes me happier than finding a reasonably priced fantastic sipper

And now I'm going to contradict what I just said: Clase Azul reposado ($80) and plata ($75) (blanco) are by far the best teqiulas I've ever tasted. My mouth is watering just thinking about the reposado. They definitely dive off the sweeter floral end, though, so that may not be everybody's thing.

Have you tried either of Espolon's offerings? Their blanco won a bunch of awards, and it's pretty good. Espolon's reposado is tasty for straight-up sipping. An incredible bargain at $20-25.

I hate to say it, but Asombroso's rosa tasted like plastic to me; I'm sure it was just an idiosyncrasy of my personal palate, as others seem to love it. Or maybe they were subtly attracted/repelled/attracted to the buttplug shape of the bottle.

I tried the Cabo Wabo reposado after reading rave reviews, and found it to be just "meh. Same for Corazon, Asombroso, Corzo. Not bad by any means, but I guess I'm looking for a little more "oomph" in one direction or another when it comes to that price range.

Espolon was another great brand that recently converted into "just okay" tequila. When the bottle changed to the short & stubby version, the juice went downhill. The ownership of the brand went from Mexican to American, corners were cut, yet the name remained the same. Tezon is another brand that experienced a similar fate.

Espolon_Reposado.jpg

About aging time of tequila vs. 7 or more years for other spirits, keep in mind that the agave plant needs 5-10 years to fully mature. So for reposados and anejos especially, that's alot of time going into that bottle.

For a good well-priced tequila (25$ or less), I think the cuervo Tradicional reposado is great, just recently had their silver and it was also very nice.
Love me some mezcal though.

I won't use the word favorite, but I usually keep a bottle of Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia on hand for special occasions.

cuervoreserva-55766.jpg

Thats tough cause I like so many good tequilas, but my go to, always on hand, tequila is Corralejo Reposado.

AixYn.jpg

I am by no means a connoisseur of tequila, and out of fear of humiliation, I wanted to put Corralejo as my tequila of choice. This makes me feel better. It's not easy to find around these parts but getting better. Aside from this, my go to is Cazadores. Not quite as easy to drink but almost there. A little less expensive too.

About aging time of tequila vs. 7 or more years for other spirits, keep in mind that the agave plant needs 5-10 years to fully mature. So for reposados and anejos especially, that's alot of time going into that bottle.

Right, but agave grows in desert climates. It needs very little in the way of care. It's an extremely hardy plant. Cereal grains going into bourbon or scotch are much more subject to drought conditions, require more care, require more work to harvest and must be malted. Agave is hacked down, the heart roasted and then fermented.

Vodka is similarly overpriced (far more than tequila). I enjoy vodka in mixed drinks but it's way overhyped to ridiculous prices.

Right, but agave grows in desert climates. It needs very little in the way of care. It's an extremely hardy plant. Cereal grains going into bourbon or scotch are much more subject to drought conditions, require more care, require more work to harvest and must be malted.

I'm not arguing that the general "care" of these plants is an arduous task, but many would argue that agave is ridiculously difficult to harvest and turn into a refined liquor compared to grain. And while cereal grains are available in abundance around the world, blue weber agave is basically specific to Mexico in limited supply. And once it's grown in one spot, it cannot be grown in that same spot again (for several decades at least).

And once it's grown in one spot, it cannot be grown in that same spot again (for several decades at least).

It's not so much that they can't so much as they don't as a preventative control for disease. Most large scale producers have several plots they rotate through to give the cleared plot some time to kill off any potential soils pests.

I remember seeing a video on the actual harvesting of the pinas. What stuck with me was when the jimador pointed at the hole in the ground after he dug up the pina and mentioned how planting there again was out of the question for a number of years. I don't remember the details as to why or for how long. Since agave takes so damn long before its ready, I assume its at least double the 7-10 years it takes to mature.

I remember seeing a video on the actual harvesting of the pinas. What stuck with me was when the jimador pointed at the hole in the ground after he dug up the pina and mentioned how planting there again was out of the question for a number of years. I don't remember the details as to why or for how long. Since agave takes so damn long before its ready, I assume its at least double the 7-10 years it takes to mature.

I am sourcing my info similarly, prolly the same show (discovery or something) and I recall the number was equal to the grow time for the crop. I recall they made an analogy to rotating fields like a pineapple farmer or something.

Meaning if they have 3 plots for rotation, at least one plot is kept cleared for a term. While the second plot is maturing, they are propogating a third plot.

Tequila Ocho blanco is drinking great at $44. And Siete Leguas blanco for $31 a bottle is friggin' awesome.

A little tip... You don't want to destroy the delicate character of these beers by freezing the bottle.

I find that the double-distilled versions have far better character the insane number of triple distilled tequilas out there. Also, check the bottle to see if it mentions highlands or lowlands agave (or do some research before you buy). It's all about terroir. Highlands varieties are more fruity, sweet, and refreshing whereas lowlands varieties are more minerally, salty, and vegetal.

Broke down and bought a small bottle of Don Julio Blanco. Damn! a 375mL is as expensive as a 750 of most others. Also got myself a bottle of Zaya Rum. Going on vacation next Frday for 16 days and will prolley leave them sealed until I get beachside.

Corazon is a good one and typically it's reasonably priced.

If I'm going to spend a little more I'd get Asombroso.

Tres Generaciones is pretty tasty as well.

Hey Moto,

In another life I frequently had to work with this particular framing crew. Once a year the Owner of the company would go back to mexico. He'd always come back with half gallon milk jugs of Tequila to hand out for gifts. I always refused due to having bad experiences with tequila.

The last year we worked toghether he begged me to take a jug. So I did. Best stuff I'd ever had.

Turns out his brother worked for a Tequila maker as a Agave roaster or something. Never did find out what brand tequila it was. But I think they lived in Jalisco or very close to.

18 years actually. I did a marketing project for Cabo Wabo in '99 just as Sammy was bringing it to market. Too bad Sammy sold it off because Cabo Wabo use to be awesome. I do however he made close to $500 million off of it.

There is another awesome tequila forum on the web, but I was curious what the beer crowd prefers.

I have Penca Azul, 4 Copas, Siete Leguas, and Ocho tequila in stock - all blancos. The lone Extra Anejo is an expensive bottle of Casa Noble. I enjoy the blancos straight up or in a nice, fresh, clean margarita sans the salt.

There is a new tequila brand Elevaso Tequila. I was able to try it at a restaurant in Malibu, very smooth. Resembles a whiskey more than a tequila, pretty sweet and great with a steak or as an after-dinner drink.

It's alive it's alive!

I second the Don Julio Anejo as the tequila I like to keep on hand for sippin. I need to try the 70 Anejo one of these days.

For frozen Bacardi-mix margaritas Hornitos blanco or heck even Kirklands, which is produced by Cielo IIRC, will do.

Last edited:
I do likes me some Don Julio anejo. Herradura anejo also very good. Hornitos anejo not bad when going cheap, and great for margs.

I've really taken a liking to El Padrino anejo, which was recommended by a friend. About $30/750ml at Total Wine. This has been my standard pour the past couple years.

BTW, if you haven't had a black & blue margarita, you're missing out on a great summer treat.

I love a good sipping tequila and neat is how I drink all of mine. I’ve always been a firm believer that if you need salt and a lime you seriously need to upgrade your tequila.

Don Julio 1942 Extra Anejo is a great tequila, but has become a bit pricey. I ran across this the other day and it is fantastic!

F1C8828F-C672-4C7F-9B51-963EFA314D7A.jpeg

top 4 - Don Julio reposado, Patron, 1800 , and the one that George Clooney markets- Casamigos.

I've been enjoying Camarena, either the silver or the reposado. Not too expensive, and WAY superior to Cuervo which I shall never taste again. I've noticed the silver gives a slight peach character, very tasty. I'm really a novice yet and haven't tried many brands yet. Also need to pay more attention to what I'm tasting going forward. Have enjoyed Cazadores. Haven't seen a need to spend more than those few yet.

Back