Favorite smash recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nspaldi0

Reaction score
Anyone care to share their favorite smash recipe? I'm going to the lhs tomorrow, and I will be getting the ingredients for my first all-grain attempt. I want to start simple. I was thinking an apa style, maybe just some 2-row with amarillo if i can get them or citra. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

By the way, this new iPhone app is sweet!

Anyone? If not, I'm just going to start with Edworts or Yoopers haus pale ale. However, I wanted to start with something where I can get a feel for malt and hop contributions.

I can't help you on a recipe, but i've been thinking of doing a smash brew. I was thinking of using maris otter for the grain not sure on the hops, maybe cascade or saaz.

My favorite is a Vienna Cascade SMaSH

Amarillo would work too

Be careful with a two row smash because two row doesn't have much flavor and won't hide anything.

Either way let us know what you make and how it tastes. We can all learn from it.

Cheers
:mug:

I can go with Vienna. How much malt would you use for a 5 gallon batch? Thanks for the responses.

Depends on what percentage alcohol you want and what your efficiency is.

About 10 lbs would be an average.

Do you have Beer Smith or another program?

Beer Smith is free for a trial period and you can play with the numbers to get what you want.

Cheers

This will be my first all-grain, so I will be trying to dial in my system. I'm using a single-tier keggle system. I'll be batch sparging. I'm going to download a program. I was going to get one for my iPhone so I could have it with me all the time. I'm stopping at the lhbs now! I'll let you know what I come up with.

I went with 10 pounds of Vienna, 4 ozs of cascades pellets and Nottingham yeast. Do you think I should use all four oz of cascades?

I went with 10 pounds of Vienna, 4 ozs of cascades pellets and Nottingham yeast. Do you think I should use all four oz of cascades?

Depends on how much you like hops and how much you want to spend? Are you a hop head?

The best thing to do is create a recipe and post it for feedback. I would feel really bad if I made something up you didn't like it.

1 oz cascade @60 0.5 @ 30 1.0 @ 15 would be quite hoppy and leave you 1.5oz to dry hop.

13# Vienna and this hop schedule gets you 1.053 og and34 ibu. I'm figuring 6% AA on the cascade.

Back