Favorite non-homebrew to buy to use to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't take the time to remove all the labels. I don't create my own so I don't really see the point. It always makes for a fun game when friends come over and fail to read the stickers I put on the caps when they open a beer and come away with something completely unexpected.

The wife loves Sam Light, so I have lots of those as well as other Sam offerings, lots of New Belgium, New Glarus and a wide variety of random micros that I can get around here.

Sierra Nevada, not marked, label comes off easy, short and pretty sturdy.

I only bottle for comps or something so I don't even bother keeping marked bottles

Pliny and Blind pig. I dig the 16oz bottles and the shape.

7971.jpg

def my favorite bottles because of the size - the beer isn't too bad either ;)

the labels are tricky to get off if you leave them to soak too long the glue is really tough to get off - usually 30min soak or less and they come right off

One of my favorite beers is RJ Rockers Bell Ringer Ale, brewed in Spartanburg, SC. The labels come off quite easily. Sadly, not so the glue. It's impossible to remove the glue from the bottle with anything I've tried. I've never come across another bottle with that type of glue.

I used to drink a lot of Stone brews, but unfortunately they're horrible as homebrew bottles since they're screenprinted.

I like the Sierra Nevada stubby's as well as their bombers, since the curve at the neck prevents the sediment at the bottom from pouring into the glass.

For this reason, I'm not very fond of the Pliny bottles since they don't have much of a shoulder.

I used to drink a lot of Stone brews, but unfortunately they're horrible as homebrew bottles since they're screenprinted.

I like the Sierra Nevada stubby's as well as their bombers, since the curve at the neck prevents the sediment at the bottom from pouring into the glass.

For this reason, I'm not very fond of the Pliny bottles since they don't have much of a shoulder.

soaking in a normal diluted solution of star-san will remove the paint - may take a little abrasive pad to remove the rest

3 Floyds Alpha king, labels come off easily with a bit of a soak, plus its darn good beer. I saw the cheap bombers at trader joes last time i was there been meaning to try them. I swore off bells a few years ago because their labels were frustrating to remove, have they changed their labels?

I go in to the beer dist and buy the straub returnable bottles for what straub buys them back, $1.50 a case, there plain amber pounders and come in cases of 24, the actual case is awesome too. Flip top and the card board is SUPER thick.

I go with New Belgum or Redhook but I've been trying to collect bottles that I don't have. Both above mentioned labels also peel right off when soaked for 10-20 minutes in hot water.

Love the flip-tops but mostly use the SNPA stubbies - labels come off easy and emptying them is fun too!

I re-use my Oskar Blues cans. The labels don't come off easily, but I like how my homebew is in nice shiny cans in the basement. No worries about breakage either. I don't always pry the tab back up properly though... :rockin:

I really like the 22oz Anchor Steam bottles... love the shape

Wouldn't mind finding some Red Stripe shaped bottles for my 12ozers but don't want to deal with trying to get the paint off...

Sierra Nevada pale ale, great bottles and a pretty good beer. I made the mistake of buying blue moon the first time, and it was painful when I realized that I couldn't use the twist offs. However, I just may give it a try this time anyway and see if they carbonate.:ban:

I've gotten preferential to belgian bottles and champagne bottles.

As for the belgians it's both the 330ml bottles, the ceramic crocks, and the ommegang style. I like my bottles a little stronger than the lighter construction american long necks. If you weigh one on a scale compared to a stand belgian 330 there's a lot more glass. Then if you compare a belgian 330 to a duvel bottle you see a weight difference. The next big difference is the artillery piece that Orval is bottled in. Those bottles are seriously hefty!

I keg, but back in the day, my Uncle George used 2 quart and 1 gallon Dad's rootbeer glass bottles. Sadly no one makes soft drinks in large glass bottles anymore.

I started saving bottles from Michelob,& paulaner. Classic pry off bottles. But the Paulaner is kinda cool,with the bust of a monk embossed in the curve of the bottle.

I want more newcastle bottles, but I don't buy it. I'm a sucker for clear bottles and since I store everything in a dark pantry, I'm not really worried about light.

I've started going with stubbies exclusively. Sierra Nevada mostly. I love the fuller's 16.9 oz bottles but my capper doesn't and I end up with one bent ass cap for every 3 bottles.

Speaking of cappers,one of the guys on the Cooper's forums stated that he read of a hammer style capper that can seal twist off bottles. Can't get any info out of him as yet. I'm assuming a "hammer style" capper is the one with the base & a lever you pull down to seal the cap to the bottle.?...

Speaking of cappers,one of the guys on the Cooper's forums stated that he read of a hammer style capper that can seal twist off bottles. Can't get any info out of him as yet. I'm assuming a "hammer style" capper is the one with the base & a lever you pull down to seal the cap to the bottle.?...

I've read that people have capped twist-offs with the Colonna Capper & Corker. I just got one and have not tried it yet, but that sounds like what he might be talking about based on the description. Considering it is plastic and metal construction, it is put together a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be.

On Midwest: Colonna Capper and Corker

Thanx for the info. I've saved the page that I'll show him to see if that's it or not. It'd be nice,since I've saved quite a number of twisties.

Goose Island bottles are great. I got two cases of them from my brother in law. I started soaking them in Oxi-Clean for a half hour and all the labels were floating at the top. Zero effort to remove the labels. Strong bottles., too.

New Glarus from Wisconsin! Best microbrewery in the US IMO, bottles are the classic amber regular shape, unmarked, labels come off easily, and not criminally priced like others.

Yeah dude, New Glarus knows what's good. When i was living in beloit we used to mix Snowshoe and Guinness for a "BlackShoe".

Latest posts

Back