Favorite beer/brewing book?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdubbaya

Reaction score
Just finished "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels, and I have a gift card for another book. Open to anything beer related.

Here's what I have in my "beer library"
- Designing Great Beers
- Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher
- Brewing Classic Styles
- How to Brew (obviously)
- Brewing up a Business

Have any recommendations or favorites? What makes it worth the read?

I've enjoyed all of those books. However, I always have a copy of brewing classic styles near by.

How to brew is my go to but I have been lugging around "Yeast" By C. White and J.Z. lately.

I can't speak from experience, but I about to purchase Gordon Strong's "Brewing Better Beer". this may go to the top of my list from what I have seen thus far.

Daybis said:
I've enjoyed all of those books. However, I always have a copy of brewing classic styles near by.

I read Brewing Classic Styles on my kindle, and almost bought a hard copy today so I could reference it. I just couldn't get myself to buy a book I already read. Anyway, it was good, but I thought the all-grain conversions were too much of an afterthought.

That said, I'd really enjoy a book of recipes dedicated to all grain and the science behind it. I got a bit of that with designing great beers, but it lacked clear recipes.

Gordon Strong's new book (Brewing Better Beer) is a great read IMO. I highly recommend it to anyone who's doing all grain - new or experienced.

I read Brewing Classic Styles on my kindle, and almost bought a hard copy today so I could reference it. I just couldn't get myself to buy a book I already read. Anyway, it was good, but I thought the all-grain conversions were too much of an afterthought.

That said, I'd really enjoy a book of recipes dedicated to all grain and the science behind it. I got a bit of that with designing great beers, but it lacked clear recipes.

I can understand that. I usually keep it on hand for base recipe ideas. I'm always playing with recipe ideas and the recipes I have brewed out of that book have always turned out really good, so I just use it as a reference and a starting point for my own creations.

mmonacel said:
Gordon Strong's new book (Brewing Better Beer) is a great read IMO. I highly recommend it to anyone who's doing all grain - new or experienced.

I've only read reviews on it, and while it seems like it got good marks, some of the negative reviews are really troubling. What was your take on it? Is it "process" focused or more ingredients focused?

Brew like a Monk...fantastic read, even if Belgians are not your favorite...read it in one day!

Brew like a Monk...fantastic read, even if Belgians are not your favorite...read it in one day!

What I was going to suggest. If Belgians are your thing of course. Even if they aren't, I'm sure drinking enough of them will help.

I ordered Brewing Better Beer, figured I'd give it a shot. Also ordered a hard copy of Brewing Classic Styles. It will be nice to have that on my reference shelf!

I also heard Randy Mosher has a new book coming out soon, does anyone know anything about it? Brad Smith were discussing it with him on his latest BeerSmith podcast.

I think a great book on brewing, one that's full of info on odd ingredients, and packed with beer ideas is Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. It may not be heavy on technical info, and it's not really a book for learning how to brew, but it's great for exploring new ideas.

+1 on How to Brew and Radical Brewing.

I constantly reference htb and go to Radical Brewing for entertainment and inspiration. I use the brewing log sheet from Radical brewing as well.

I own Brewing Classic Styles but I agree about the ag being like an afterthought.

Latest posts

Back