Favorite American Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea Big Sky - I'm a Missoula boy and love BSB, and Bayern (awesome German lagers), Kettlehouse (Bongwater anybody), and now Droughtworks (A brewers brewery - always something interesting on tap).

I went to college at UM. I should've mentioned Kettlehouse and Bayern too. Only been to Draughtworks once, but it was good. My next brew is gonna be a Cold Smoke clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have you had/heard of Tighthead Brewing? It's a block from where I'm moving in two weeks (Mundelien, by the NCS Metra stop), I had their Irie and it was pretty good.

Love Tighthead too and the brewers are great people. Excellent little brewery to have less than 5 miles away.

Asking for your favorite brewery is a lot like asking who is the most beautiful woman in the world is. No good answer for that one. Waaaayyy to many good choices.

MMMMM let me think.

Love Tighthead too and the brewers are great people. Excellent little brewery to have less than 5 miles away.
I'm very excited. I'll be taking the train to work so when SWMBO said there was a brewery basically at the train station, I knew that's where I was going to be if they are even half decent. I'll probably stop in this weekend to form my own opinion, but good to know a fellow homebrewer likes them.

So many greats but since its one I can make it to, at least occasionally, and I love the atmosphere/ employees/ food

Bullfrog Brewery, Williamsport, PA

North Coast only for Old Rasputin, other than that would have to say either Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, or Sam Adams. The last 3 are generally my go to, but Old Rasputin is hands down my favorite beer at this time.

That is for American breweries, if you want to go overall then Samuel Smith would probably top even North Coast; while Old Rasputin is imo the best beer hands down, Samuel Smith overall has the best beers.

This is tough... I guess I have to throw in for Big Sky, but I think it's going to be overtaken on my list by Arcadia Ales. I don't typically go through all of the beers from a given brewery to be able to make a really conclusive bid, I just sort of drink them piecemeal.

Sam Adams got me into this craze. Sitting at home drinking Budweiser and thinking the world was fine. Saw a Sam Adams commercial where he made his employees make a batch of beer so they could learn what it was all about. Even if they were the accountant.
Next day trip to the bar and I haven't drank the watered down stuff since.

I'd have to say Track 7 in Sacramento right now. Smooth hop-forward beers and style-bending brews. Stouts and IPAs based on Belgian styles.

Asking for your favorite brewery is a lot like asking who is the most beautiful woman in the world is. No good answer for that one. Waaaayyy to many good choices.

MMMMM let me think.

Well... I have an opinion on that one too.

grace-kelly-ca-1950s-everett.jpg

It's tough because there are so many, but the first one that comes to mind is Southern Tier. Ommegang is right there too, but are we considering them a US brewery? They're in the US but owned by Duvel.

I'll go with Firestone; I really like or love all their beers except for Solace, which I find undrinkable. They made me realize that a black ipa could be awesome. I also love all their English style beers, particularly Double Barrel Ale and plain old Velvet Merlin (not a huge fan of the barrel-aged version).

All-time would be Founders but Odd Side is KILLING it right now. If you are in the Michigan, find a way to give them a try.
Barrel Aged Mayan Mocha and Morning Wood are world class!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

3 Floyds.

But will give a shout out to the Keweenaw brewing company up in the UP. Brew cafe concept is cool

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm finding myself drinking a lot of saisons and sours right now, and Prairie and Jester King are rocking those styles like nobody's bidniz.
Peticolas here in Dallas have been really impressing me lately too.

Wow, hard to choose. I'm definitely a big fan of Firestone Walker. Beyond that, some of my favorites include Deschutes, Bells, Founders, Odell and Great Divide. I don't recall ever having a beer from any of them that wasn't at least pretty good, if not great.

I like the quote comparing a favorite brewery to the most beautiful woman. There's too many for me to choose. As far as the ones I've been too, mine are

Yazoo Brewery in Nashville. Every time the Mrs and me went to Nashville for a weekend, I would always make a stop at the brewery.

Moccasin Bend Brewing Company in Chattanooga. It is a pretty cool place and it's just under an hours drive to get there.

As far as long distance breweries go, I'll just list my top 5 favorite beers (in no order).

Laughing Skull (Red Brick)
Sweetwater IPA/ Sweetwater Blue (Sweetwater)
Kona Big Wave (Kona....heck, anything from Kona)
Pre-Prohibition Lager (Brooklyn Brewery)
BBC Nut Brown (Bluegrass Brewing Company)

I love just about anything from New Belgium and Redhook too.

Ok, top 7. LOL!

I think, at this point in time, mine would be Sixpoint. Their stuff is just so consistently interesting and delicious; I've even come to like the 16-ounce can format.

I'm sure next year I'll have a different one, but that's what trying out different beers is all about!

My all-time favorite is Yuengling, hands down. Not only for the beer, but because it's an American, family owned brewery, and it's been around for so long.

While I have only had home brewed cloned versions of their beer, I would vote for Surly Brewery for an American craft brewery. I would love to be able to go to a local store and buy a six pack of Surly Cynic. What I brew is fantastic. The NB kit. I wonder how close I am. Theirs is probably much better, but I can't brew this fast enough.... neighbors, friends, me, etc...

Sierra Nevada or Stone.

SN gets points for helping start the craft beer movement, and they just have an all-around solid lineup.

Stone, because of what they've done for pushing the envelope on hoppy beers and the appreciation of them in the US.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Deschutes. Great regular line-up, pretty good seasonal bombers, and fantastic special releases. The special releases used to be pretty easy to get and very reasonably priced, hopefully that continues.

After that, toss-up between Odell and New Belgium. Both have a solid regular line-up and some good special releases. The Lips of Faith series has put out some mediocre beers recently and the price for La Folie is over-inflated here in CO, unfortunately.

So many great ones, but with out a doubt it has to be HILL FARMSTEAD

Wish I could get up there a little more, but the wife is from up there, and has family around VT. Always a good excuse to go visit family!

So many great ones, but with out a doubt it has to be HILL FARMSTEAD

Wish I could get up there a little more, but the wife is from up there, and has family around VT. Always a good excuse to go visit family!

Shhhhhhhh! This is the worst kept secret in NE. We don't want the "heady topper" syndrome to catch on with Hill

Shhhhhhhh! This is the worst kept secret in NE. We don't want the "heady topper" syndrome to catch on with Hill

Ha! Last time I was up there I waited 2 hours for some growler fills. I talked to some guy from Ireland! Damn, people from all over the place for Shaun's brew! At least I could sip on some tasters while I waited.

In contrast, the first time I ever went there before people started going bonkers, I think I was 1 of 3 people there for a good half hour. Miss those days, but I'd rather see him thriving than not.

Heady Topper, God..that's a whole nutha story! At least I had a buddy bring me back a case instead of having to wait!

Avery
Odell
Trinity
Prairie
O'So
4 Hands
Wits End
Funkwerks

That's a good starting list. Too hard of a question.

Surly Brewing in Minnesota! Furious, Bender, Darkness all great beers! Their new Blakkr(collaboration with Real Ale and Three Floyd's) is one of the best beers I've ever had! Soooo good!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

They're pretty high on my list as well. I got to pick up a pack of Chillwave after missing out on Alchemy Hour last year. Very nice.

You have to show up at the Brewpub on a nice summer day and sit on the patio. The brewer is a block away from the brewpub. The smell is awesome! Plus - the food is fantastic!

Latest posts

Back